Oct 25, 2011, 8:12 AM EDT
Jereme Richmond was a guy on the bubble of being drafted by an NBA team last June. The Illinois product is a raw but athletic 6’7” swingman, the kind of guy a team might give a camp invite to so they can get a better look.
Not likely now. He keeps shooting himself in the foot.
We told you in August how he was arrested for hitting his girlfriend and threatening her father with a gun, something most teams would consider a red flag. Now he has compounded that according to the Chicago Tribune (via Eye on Basketball).
What’s more, Richmond was jailed Friday for allegedly failing a drug test imposed as a condition of his bond (to be let out of jail after the alleged first incident)….
“When you’re looking at a guy like Jereme, at best an off-the-bench player, (legal trouble) really hurts,” said Draft Express Givony said. “They need to be the best guys off the court. They need to work hard. Distractions can’t come from those guys.”
All that comes on the heels of Richmond being suspended for Illinois NCAA Tournament game for a “team rules violations.”
Talent trumps all in the NBA — if you’re good enough you can get away with a lot. Role players, not so much. Richmond has some real strides to get a team to give him a chance.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 22
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 6
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22