Oct 25, 2011, 8:12 AM EDT
Jereme Richmond was a guy on the bubble of being drafted by an NBA team last June. The Illinois product is a raw but athletic 6’7” swingman, the kind of guy a team might give a camp invite to so they can get a better look.
Not likely now. He keeps shooting himself in the foot.
We told you in August how he was arrested for hitting his girlfriend and threatening her father with a gun, something most teams would consider a red flag. Now he has compounded that according to the Chicago Tribune (via Eye on Basketball).
What’s more, Richmond was jailed Friday for allegedly failing a drug test imposed as a condition of his bond (to be let out of jail after the alleged first incident)….
“When you’re looking at a guy like Jereme, at best an off-the-bench player, (legal trouble) really hurts,” said Draft Express Givony said. “They need to be the best guys off the court. They need to work hard. Distractions can’t come from those guys.”
All that comes on the heels of Richmond being suspended for Illinois NCAA Tournament game for a “team rules violations.”
Talent trumps all in the NBA — if you’re good enough you can get away with a lot. Role players, not so much. Richmond has some real strides to get a team to give him a chance.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights