Oct 25, 2011, 8:12 AM EST
Jereme Richmond was a guy on the bubble of being drafted by an NBA team last June. The Illinois product is a raw but athletic 6’7” swingman, the kind of guy a team might give a camp invite to so they can get a better look.
Not likely now. He keeps shooting himself in the foot.
We told you in August how he was arrested for hitting his girlfriend and threatening her father with a gun, something most teams would consider a red flag. Now he has compounded that according to the Chicago Tribune (via Eye on Basketball).
What’s more, Richmond was jailed Friday for allegedly failing a drug test imposed as a condition of his bond (to be let out of jail after the alleged first incident)….
“When you’re looking at a guy like Jereme, at best an off-the-bench player, (legal trouble) really hurts,” said Draft Express Givony said. “They need to be the best guys off the court. They need to work hard. Distractions can’t come from those guys.”
All that comes on the heels of Richmond being suspended for Illinois NCAA Tournament game for a “team rules violations.”
Talent trumps all in the NBA — if you’re good enough you can get away with a lot. Role players, not so much. Richmond has some real strides to get a team to give him a chance.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13