Oct 25, 2011, 8:39 PM EST
Well, that’s not the truth. The owners spun that story, but do you think they fold just when KG stares? Right. KG is intimidating but not THAT intimidating
But it is fair to note that many of the hardliners from the players union are the most financially secure guys in the league. Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce for example. And that includes Garnett, according to Steve Aschburner at NBA.com.
In fact, Garnett’s self-funded pension (apart from his NBPA one) will be pretty plush. Two sources told NBA.com that the Celtics forward will still have $35 million coming after he retires. He’ll be due $5 million annually for seven years, the result of deferred salary Garnett and agent Andy Miller got in each of his last two contract extensions. Whatever portion is due from this season might be affected by games lost to the lockout, but it’s not as if Garnett’s financial spigot gets turned off next spring.
Garnett has made $270 million is salary alone during his career (prior to this season), so money is no object. Delay some of it. That actually is the smart thing to do.
But while KG is sitting pretty for years and playing the hardline, do other players feel that way? Maybe. Make no mistake the owners are trying to screw the players. But how long can those players put up with it?
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- No stars, no problem: Spurs reserves too much for Warriors in 104-102 win 3
- Kobe injury a reality check for Lakers, doesn’t really change plan 12
- Spurs will rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in nationally televised game, Tony Parker also out 26
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee 57
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (58)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (45)