Oct 24, 2011, 11:24 AM EDT
As it was at every one of these games for the past month, most of the questions thrown at the players are about the lockout. And when it’s going to end.
Like, when Royce Young of Eye on Basketball asked Durant if we’d see NBA games by Christmas.
“I wish,” he said. “But I really can’t say right now. We’re just trying to work to get a deal done. We’re going to continue to play in these games and show the fans that we love the game and we want to play.”
There are a number of things holding up the negotiations, but at the core of it is money — specifically the split of basketball related income (which is essentially most of the revenue that flows into the league). Last labor deal the players got 57 percent of that, now the owners want a 50/50 split (which really isn’t 50/50 because they want to take more off the top) and the players are saying 53 percent (or 52.5 which was their last offer according to reports).
“No, no. Fifty-three. That’s where we’re staying at. We’ve had plenty of talks and we’re not dropping,” (James) Harden said. “We already dropped and set our number at 53 so that’s what we’re sticking to.”
We can debate who is winning the public relations battle, I think the owners are taking a black eye but players who make millions cannot really win that fight. Bottom line, everyone is a loser. But Chris Paul — a vice president in the union — said all the players can do is keep playing games and preaching their side of things.
“We try to explain (the situation) as much as we can, but it’s really hard to understand unless you’re in the situation. But I just want the fans to trust us and know that we’re far from greedy. We just want a fair deal. We want to get out there and play more than anybody. But we understand that at the end of the day, we’re the product. We’re the reason the fans come and we just want a fair deal.”
Most fans just want basketball.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 0
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 40
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44