Oct 24, 2011, 2:24 PM EDT
As the NBA lockout drags on, the number of charity games featuring NBA players keeps increasing.
Promising festivities akin to “a Magic All-Star weekend,” Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard said over Twitter on Saturday that he’s putting together events for Nov. 11-13 that will include an exhibition game that Sunday at UCF.
“Orlando is gonna love what’s about to happen,” Howard wrote.
A couple of days ago, Howard floated over Twitter the idea of an “old-school vs. new-school exhibition game/weekend” in Orlando, and it appears that he’s following through on his plans.
“Old-school vs. new-school?” So Jason Kidd vs. Justin Bieber at point guard?
Howard is looking at the same weekend as the other Howard, which could be an issue. But there are plenty of NBA players looking for things to do right now, reports the Post.
With the lockout wiping out the first two weeks of the regular season and more cancellations expected to follow after failed negotiations last week, Howard is taking advantage of the opening to host a charity game on Nov. 12. Players expected to participate include Howard’s Wizards teammates John Wall, Andray Blatche and Nick Young; his former Mavericks teammates Jason Terry, Marquis Daniels, DeSagana Diop and Quinton Ross; Portland Trail Blazers forward and Dallas native LaMarcus Aldridge; New Orleans Hornets guard Jarrett Jack; Mavericks guard Corey Brewer; Minnesota forward Anthony Randolph; Toronto forward Reggie Evans; Sacramento Kings draft pick Isaiah Thomas; and former NBA player Damon Jones.
Expect to see more of these games until we get to see games that actually mean something.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40