Oct 24, 2011, 2:24 PM EDT
As the NBA lockout drags on, the number of charity games featuring NBA players keeps increasing.
Promising festivities akin to “a Magic All-Star weekend,” Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard said over Twitter on Saturday that he’s putting together events for Nov. 11-13 that will include an exhibition game that Sunday at UCF.
“Orlando is gonna love what’s about to happen,” Howard wrote.
A couple of days ago, Howard floated over Twitter the idea of an “old-school vs. new-school exhibition game/weekend” in Orlando, and it appears that he’s following through on his plans.
“Old-school vs. new-school?” So Jason Kidd vs. Justin Bieber at point guard?
Howard is looking at the same weekend as the other Howard, which could be an issue. But there are plenty of NBA players looking for things to do right now, reports the Post.
With the lockout wiping out the first two weeks of the regular season and more cancellations expected to follow after failed negotiations last week, Howard is taking advantage of the opening to host a charity game on Nov. 12. Players expected to participate include Howard’s Wizards teammates John Wall, Andray Blatche and Nick Young; his former Mavericks teammates Jason Terry, Marquis Daniels, DeSagana Diop and Quinton Ross; Portland Trail Blazers forward and Dallas native LaMarcus Aldridge; New Orleans Hornets guard Jarrett Jack; Mavericks guard Corey Brewer; Minnesota forward Anthony Randolph; Toronto forward Reggie Evans; Sacramento Kings draft pick Isaiah Thomas; and former NBA player Damon Jones.
Expect to see more of these games until we get to see games that actually mean something.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47