Oct 24, 2011, 7:11 PM EDT
There could be a tattoo of a Rubik’s Cube on Chris Andersen. Hard to say.
But we can now officially say that the Nuggets colorful shot blocker off the bench is a Rubik’s Cube guy. You remember, the cube you learned how to take apart and put back together with all the colors aligned so you could tell your friends you did it the right way.
Andersen actually is into the cube, enough to do some color commentary on a competition. Seriously. Students from Colorado were in Colorado Springs Saturday for the first “You CAN Do The Rubik’s Cube” event, reports the Colorado Springs Gazette (via Ball Don’t Lie).
The competition features a little star power. Denver Nuggets’ player Chris “Birdman” Andersen will offer commentary during the tournament and will present awards to the winners. Andersen is a Rubik’s Cube fan and he supports an in-school program designed to foster students’ science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) skills.
I’m not sure what color commentary sounds like in one of those competitions. “Look at the way little Johnnie got the blue side lined up so fast, he really is the Michael Jordan of the Rubik’s Cube.” “Oh, Steve was just a few turns away from winning this competition but made a bad twist under pressure, he’s the LeBron James of Rubik’s Cubes.”
The best part of the competition would have been the families that brought their grandparents, and their reaction to the Birdman.
Still, all for a good cause so good on Andersen.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 0
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10