Oct 24, 2011, 7:11 PM EST
There could be a tattoo of a Rubik’s Cube on Chris Andersen. Hard to say.
But we can now officially say that the Nuggets colorful shot blocker off the bench is a Rubik’s Cube guy. You remember, the cube you learned how to take apart and put back together with all the colors aligned so you could tell your friends you did it the right way.
Andersen actually is into the cube, enough to do some color commentary on a competition. Seriously. Students from Colorado were in Colorado Springs Saturday for the first “You CAN Do The Rubik’s Cube” event, reports the Colorado Springs Gazette (via Ball Don’t Lie).
The competition features a little star power. Denver Nuggets’ player Chris “Birdman” Andersen will offer commentary during the tournament and will present awards to the winners. Andersen is a Rubik’s Cube fan and he supports an in-school program designed to foster students’ science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) skills.
I’m not sure what color commentary sounds like in one of those competitions. “Look at the way little Johnnie got the blue side lined up so fast, he really is the Michael Jordan of the Rubik’s Cube.” “Oh, Steve was just a few turns away from winning this competition but made a bad twist under pressure, he’s the LeBron James of Rubik’s Cubes.”
The best part of the competition would have been the families that brought their grandparents, and their reaction to the Birdman.
Still, all for a good cause so good on Andersen.
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 19
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 11
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 14
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 27
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20