Oct 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
From the department of “Aw, sad panda” comes this element regarding Wolves forward Michael Beasley. Beasley had organized a charity event in Minnesota, billing it as the “All-Star Classic,” promoting it as including Kevin Durant and Kevin Love along with John Wall and No.2 overall Timberwolves pick Derrick Williams.
They didn’t show.
From the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
Organizers originally priced tickets at between $60 and $300, then changed them to $40 general admission, $100 for VIP reserve and $300 for court seats when it became clear Durant, Love, Wall and No. 2 overall pick Derrick Williams wouldn’t play.
Net proceeds will go to St. Jude’s and three Twin Cities area charities.
Organizers estimated the audience at 1,200 fans, which might have been a bit generous. Those fans watched the six Wolves players, Golden State’s Wright, former WNBA player Tamara Moore and a smattering of summer-league players run and shoot until the Beasleys prevailed over the Visitors 179-170.
You know what, though? Beasley can’t direct those kinds of things. He can’t make those guys play. And the Minnesota fans at least got to see most of the Wolves play. Granted, not Williams, Love, Williams or Rubio, four starters, but still. And it’s for charity. Any effort counts. So it would be easy to dig at Beasley for not being able to deliver, but he made the effort to put together a basketball game for charity.
That’s more than a lot of people do.
Kinda funny, though.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 21
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)