Spencer Hawes is looking out for his elders

Oct 22, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT

Hope some of the billion plus dollars we have given back in bargaining is going to the retired players who paved the way to the league 2dayFri Oct 21 19:53:35 via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Now that’s just right kind of Spencer. I’m not a fan of Spencer’s game (remember when he was a “steal” for the Kings in the draft? /laugh out loud, as the kids say), or his personality most time, but this was awfully nice. All sports tend to toss away the players after they retire. Some stick around because of their entertainment value, but too many get lost in the cracks, which leads to turmoil for them and their families. The money doesn’t last forever.

This won’t happen, of course, because both sides are scrapping and fighting for every penny they can get personally. Whichever side you support, this is about greed on both sides. You can argue it’s healthy greed, but it’s still greed. A nice thought, though Spencer. What player would you give your money to? I’d give it to Charles Oakley, but that’s just because I’m afraid of him.

1. goforthanddie - Oct 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Does Sprewell have more kids he needs to feed?

2. transam7816 - Oct 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Ummm nobody. They should have saved money and not spent it all just like everyone else.

3. jints3bowls - Oct 23, 2011 at 4:16 AM

Everyone should be required to open a 401k when they join professional sports…

It’s all greed and I hope the nba doesn’t think this will help the already declining popularity in their sport. No other business is it split 50/50…why should this one?

4. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 23, 2011 at 6:27 AM

The money doesn’t last forever.

In most cases, it probably should. I’m not sure why the league should be responsible if an ex-player mismanages his money. I doubt my employer will take care of me if I piss away all the money it has already paid me.

5. josh928 - Oct 23, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Agree totally. Why should any sport have to continue to take care of retired players? I thought they do enough “taking care of” by paying them 100 times more than the normal person makes. If ur a retired player that played long enough or was good enough to even sit on the bench ur whole career then there’s no reason to think u should need the NBA to step in and take care of u

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches