Oct 22, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
Ladies and gentlemen, open your hearts and prepare to let The Answer back into your lives. From Yahoo! Sports:
Former NBA All-Star Allen Iverson is hosting the Las Vegas Superstar Challenge on Nov. 12-13, sources told Yahoo! Sports.
The tournament includes four teams with captains, including Iverson, who will recruit players for their respective teams. NBA All-Stars who could participate include Kevin Durant, Amar’e Stoudemire and Paul Pierce, sources said. Iverson is expected to announce the participants for all four teams in Las Vegas next week. The winner of the Nov. 12 games at Thomas & Mack Center will play in a championship game the next day. The Nov. 12 games are scheduled for 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. ET to allow players to attend the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Marquez fight that evening.
Iverson was last seen in a mini-feud with his team in Turkey, with his tenure only lasting a short time. It’s not clear whether Iverson’s just throwing the basketball bash to have some fun or if this is his way of trying to get back on the NBA radar.
Was anyone else stunned by the fact that Iverson’s only 36? Steve Nash is older than Iverson. If ever there was an example of how NBA mileage and not age is the determining factor in the loss of ability with time, it’s that. Iverson would be perfect in these exhibition settings, though. Even at this point, with no defense and the freewheeling style, it’s made for Iverson’s creativity. He won’t drop 40+ or anything, but the idea of him running next to Durant is enough to get me interested, and I’ve sworn off all the exhibitions.
Oh, yeah, this:
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32