Oct 22, 2011, 9:15 AM EST
Ladies and gentlemen, open your hearts and prepare to let The Answer back into your lives. From Yahoo! Sports:
Former NBA All-Star Allen Iverson is hosting the Las Vegas Superstar Challenge on Nov. 12-13, sources told Yahoo! Sports.
The tournament includes four teams with captains, including Iverson, who will recruit players for their respective teams. NBA All-Stars who could participate include Kevin Durant, Amar’e Stoudemire and Paul Pierce, sources said. Iverson is expected to announce the participants for all four teams in Las Vegas next week. The winner of the Nov. 12 games at Thomas & Mack Center will play in a championship game the next day. The Nov. 12 games are scheduled for 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. ET to allow players to attend the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Marquez fight that evening.
Iverson was last seen in a mini-feud with his team in Turkey, with his tenure only lasting a short time. It’s not clear whether Iverson’s just throwing the basketball bash to have some fun or if this is his way of trying to get back on the NBA radar.
Was anyone else stunned by the fact that Iverson’s only 36? Steve Nash is older than Iverson. If ever there was an example of how NBA mileage and not age is the determining factor in the loss of ability with time, it’s that. Iverson would be perfect in these exhibition settings, though. Even at this point, with no defense and the freewheeling style, it’s made for Iverson’s creativity. He won’t drop 40+ or anything, but the idea of him running next to Durant is enough to get me interested, and I’ve sworn off all the exhibitions.
Oh, yeah, this:
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 6
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20