Oct 21, 2011, 3:01 PM EDT
Kick off your shoes, grab a drink, put your feet up and make yourself comfortable. It looks like we could be at this lockout thing for a long, long time now.
The longer this drags out, players are going to get hurt.
The question is, which players get hurt the most?
The conventional wisdom is guys like Kevin Garnett — set to make $21.2 million in the last year of his deal, plus the Celtics have one more season before they enter a rebuilding mode. Or maybe Kobe Bryant because of his age (plus the $25 million he is owed, that much money doesn’t suck even if you are rich). Maybe Dirk Nowitzki because he doesn’t get to bask in the glow of his accomplishment and defend the title. Maybe the Miami Heat trio because they want a ring and who knows how long ownership can keep that team together under the new system.
Matt Steinmetz over at CSNBayArea.com tackled that question and put together an interesting list with some unusual names. Here are a few highlights.
Vince Carter, Phoenix Suns: Yes, he’s made a ton of money during his career, but it still would hurt to go without the $18.3 million he is due in 2011-12. Especially since it’s the last year of his deal and he’ll never sniff that financial neighborhood again.
Charlie Bell, Warriors: Bell has never been a big-money guy, and that’s why losing out on his $4.1 million this year would hurt. He’s also on the last year of his deal and the very real possibility exists that Bell’s career could be over.
Mehmet Okur, Utah Jazz: He played only 13 games last season because of injury and 2011-12 is the last year of his deal. He’s scheduled to earn $10.9 million. Okur is getting up there (32) and doesn’t look to be a part of the Jazz’ long-term future. Otherwise, why would they have drafted Enes Kanter?
James Posey, Indiana Pacers: He will turn 35 years old in January, and while he was once a valuable role player, his play has slipped the past couple of years. Posey was set to earn $7.6 million in 2011-12, which would have been the biggest payday of his career.
Who would be on your list?
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15