Oct 21, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT
Former Lakers coach Phil Jackson — the guy with the 11 rings and probably more insight into how to coach Kobe Bryant than anyone — finally sat down and talked with the guy now in the big chair in Los Angeles, Mike Brown.
Jackson was at Lakers headquarters to pick up girlfriend Jeanie Buss and dropped in on Brown who was sitting around with coaches… probably playing Othello, what else have they got to do?
So what did Jackson and Brown talk about? Where to live in L.A. and some other stuff, Brown told Marc Spears of Yahoo.
“We just talked shop about some of the guys on the team,” Brown said of his 15-minute conversation with Jackson. “But we talked more about what he’s got going right now, and where each one of us is living, and where he still has a place and all that other stuff. We talked about that more than really getting into talking about basketball.”
Actually, that’s smart by Brown. He can’t come in and try to be Phil Jackson, he needs to come in and be Mike Brown. Be true to who he is. Come in with a plan — a good one to run more twin-towers stuff with Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol — and stick to it. That’s the only way this all works out for him.
He reiterated that he’s got ideas on what the Lakers need to do.
“There will be some aspects of the triangle that we will use,” Brown said. “Mid-post action and stuff like that. More than anything we’re going to play four out, one in, with a strong corner look.
“[Defensively], you’re going to the screen a little bit more. You’re forcing the action a little bit more. Your job as a big will begin and end rather quickly when it comes to guarding the basketball.”
Defense will be key for the Lakers. They have Kobe, Gasol and Bynum — they will get their points, whatever the system. But last season they stopped really being committed on defense and Dallas destroyed them for it. If they come back committed on that end, they are contenders. If not, well, Oklahoma City is looking really good and Dallas may be better next season.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30