Oct 21, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT
Former Lakers coach Phil Jackson — the guy with the 11 rings and probably more insight into how to coach Kobe Bryant than anyone — finally sat down and talked with the guy now in the big chair in Los Angeles, Mike Brown.
Jackson was at Lakers headquarters to pick up girlfriend Jeanie Buss and dropped in on Brown who was sitting around with coaches… probably playing Othello, what else have they got to do?
So what did Jackson and Brown talk about? Where to live in L.A. and some other stuff, Brown told Marc Spears of Yahoo.
“We just talked shop about some of the guys on the team,” Brown said of his 15-minute conversation with Jackson. “But we talked more about what he’s got going right now, and where each one of us is living, and where he still has a place and all that other stuff. We talked about that more than really getting into talking about basketball.”
Actually, that’s smart by Brown. He can’t come in and try to be Phil Jackson, he needs to come in and be Mike Brown. Be true to who he is. Come in with a plan — a good one to run more twin-towers stuff with Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol — and stick to it. That’s the only way this all works out for him.
He reiterated that he’s got ideas on what the Lakers need to do.
“There will be some aspects of the triangle that we will use,” Brown said. “Mid-post action and stuff like that. More than anything we’re going to play four out, one in, with a strong corner look.
“[Defensively], you’re going to the screen a little bit more. You’re forcing the action a little bit more. Your job as a big will begin and end rather quickly when it comes to guarding the basketball.”
Defense will be key for the Lakers. They have Kobe, Gasol and Bynum — they will get their points, whatever the system. But last season they stopped really being committed on defense and Dallas destroyed them for it. If they come back committed on that end, they are contenders. If not, well, Oklahoma City is looking really good and Dallas may be better next season.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 6
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 42
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon