Oct 21, 2011, 10:00 PM EST
1. This is my favorite YouTube highlight video of all time. One of my big NBA theories is that what makes an NBA player great is not the ability to convert difficult shots, but to create easy ones. Most YouTube highlight videos, by their nature, are a compilation of difficult long jumpers or a quick cut to a thunderous dunk or impossibly acrobatic layup. McHale’s video actually shows how he used his footwork, counter-moves, and freakishly long arms to create easy shots, and it’s a thing of beauty.
2. Kevin McHale has a career True Shooting percentage of 60.5%, and twice averaged more than 20 points a game on better than 60% shooting from the field. Al Jefferson, who is considered one of the best young post players in the NBA and had McHale as his coach, has a career true shooting percentage of 53.4% and hasn’t shot over 50% from the field since the 06-07 season. How did Big Al not learn a few more of McHale’s moves?
3. Watch how good McHale is at stepping through or shooting over double teams — McHale didn’t pass all that often, but he had good reasons not to.
4. Watch how good McHale is at sealing off and getting deep position by using angles and his long arms, even though he wasn’t very thick.
5. Having followed LeBron James‘ career closely for some time now, it’s almost painful to watch this video and then see James completely perplexed when he’s working one-on-one down on the block.
6. I miss Yao Ming already.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8