Oct 21, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
1. This is my favorite YouTube highlight video of all time. One of my big NBA theories is that what makes an NBA player great is not the ability to convert difficult shots, but to create easy ones. Most YouTube highlight videos, by their nature, are a compilation of difficult long jumpers or a quick cut to a thunderous dunk or impossibly acrobatic layup. McHale’s video actually shows how he used his footwork, counter-moves, and freakishly long arms to create easy shots, and it’s a thing of beauty.
2. Kevin McHale has a career True Shooting percentage of 60.5%, and twice averaged more than 20 points a game on better than 60% shooting from the field. Al Jefferson, who is considered one of the best young post players in the NBA and had McHale as his coach, has a career true shooting percentage of 53.4% and hasn’t shot over 50% from the field since the 06-07 season. How did Big Al not learn a few more of McHale’s moves?
3. Watch how good McHale is at stepping through or shooting over double teams — McHale didn’t pass all that often, but he had good reasons not to.
4. Watch how good McHale is at sealing off and getting deep position by using angles and his long arms, even though he wasn’t very thick.
5. Having followed LeBron James‘ career closely for some time now, it’s almost painful to watch this video and then see James completely perplexed when he’s working one-on-one down on the block.
6. I miss Yao Ming already.
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 0
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 21
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 45
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement