Oct 21, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Well, it looks like we’ll have more time for All-Star filled charity games and international exhibition tours.
So Carmelo Anthony is looking to bring a big one to the New York area… he just needs to find a venue, reports the New York Post. The problem is that Madison Square Garden is out (home to the Knicks), the Prudential Center is out (home to the Nets for now), the Barclay Center is not yet finished.
That doesn’t leave a lot of options.
During an appearance in Greenwich Village on Thursday, the Knicks forward said he’d like to house the all-star charity event at an 18,000-seat arena, with Izod Center in the Meadowlands being considered.
Anthony said the event, which he hopes will include at least nine All-Stars, will take place around Thanksgiving, unless the NBA lockout is settled….
“This would be one of the biggest games this summer and it’s New York,’’ Anthony said. “I don’t think we can hold it at a 4,000-, 5,000-seat arena. Maybe we may have to go to Jersey and hold it at the Izod Center or one of those places that hold 18,000 to 20,000. Because everybody is going to want to come to that game.’
Actually, what everyone wants to do is go to a Knicks games. We’re getting burnt out on the summer fun season as we head into fall. We’d like games where they mix in a little defense. But if you can pull it off and the money goes to a good cause, go for it.
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 4
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 6
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 13
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 11
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10