Oct 20, 2011, 9:26 PM EDT
The reviews of federal mediator George Cohen from both sides out of the 30 hours of NBA labor negotiations this week were positive. They said he was able to take the emotions out of the talks, made progress on smaller issues and tried to build momentum to big ones.
Then it all blew apart today, and Cohen basically threw up his hands and walked out of the room.
He was a lot more kind than that officially, but read his statement below and tell me that’s not what you take away from it.
“As a follow up to the NBA’s and NBA Players Association agreeing to my invitation to conduct negotiations under the auspices of the FMCS, three days of mediation have taken place. During this period, a wide variety of issues were addressed in a professional, thoughtful manner, consistent with what one would expect to take place in a constructive collective bargaining setting.
“Regrettably, however, the parties have not achieved an overall agreement, nor have they been able to resolve the strongly held, competing positions that separated them on core issues.
“In these circumstances, after carefully reviewing all of the events that have transpired, it is the considered judgment of myself and Deputy Director Scot Beckenbaugh, who has been engaged with me throughout this process, that no useful purpose would be served by requesting the parties to continue the mediation process at this time. For our part, the Agency has advised the parties that we will be willing and prepared to continue to facilitate any future discussions upon their mutual request.”
In other words: “We give up, you’re on your own.”
Which is bad, bad news for NBA fans.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10