Oct 20, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
While a lot of the anecdotes tie to his time as a player and GM with the Lakers, the Commercial Appeal found some stuff about his time with the Grizzlies.
What it shows is that West is like you and me — he didn’t like Mike Fratello’s offense, either.
“The problem I had with Mike Fratello had to do with the type of offense he wanted the team to run — a very slow, controlled game — and I tried to tell him that he needed to reconsider this,” West wrote. “I warned him, ‘Everyone is killing me, Mike. The agents with players’ complaints, the fans, the press. This is not what we should be doing.’ But Mike was very stubborn; he was convinced that his approach was correct.”
He also reveals that he had two stalkers while in Memphis, one who went so far as to buy a wedding dress and that forced him to hire a security guard as well.
West was able to build the Grizzlies into a three-time playoff team while he was GM, the Grizzlies were no longer a laughing stock. But he admits he made mistakes (drafting Drew Gooden over Amare Stoudemire is the biggie). What he really was unable to do was to bring in the superstars — Magic, Worthy, Kobe, Shaq — that he was able to find and draw in Los Angeles. And I’m not sure even West could have pulled that off.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17