Oct 19, 2011, 10:01 PM EDT
UPDATE 10:01 pm: Bud Selig has seen the mistake, stepped in and has saved the day. Hey, it happens, a broken clock is right twice a day.
After seeing the public backlash and realizing they looked like fools, Selig and Major League Baseball stepped in and said “what do you mean we said Dirk Nowitzki couldn’t throw out the first pitch, of course he can.” ESPNDallas.com has the full report.
Earlier Wednesday the MLB had shot the idea down (read below, but basically it was a solidarity move with their fellow owners), but a little sunshine on that decision and the MLB backtracked from it. Of course, they did it with the “Selig didn’t know or he would have approved it the first time” language. But at least they did the right thing.
So check out the big German throwing out the first pitch Saturday night.
3:45 pm: Bad karma, Major League Baseball. Bad karma.
The Texas Rangers open the World Series Wednesday night against the Cardinals in St. Louis. When the Rangers return home, they wanted newly minted NBA champion Dirk Nowitzki to throw out the first pitch. Maybe a little good karma rubs off on them. Smart move.
But Major League Baseball tossed Nowitzki from the game before he ever got to the mound. Marc Stein at ESPN explains.
Sources told ESPNDallas.com that — with the NBA in the midst of a lockout that has spanned 111 days — at least some hesitation stems from the idea that MLB executives want to stand behind their basketball counterparts and have notified the Rangers that they can’t bestow first-pitch honors on an NBA player.
Major League Baseball insists that the NBA’s labor unrest had no impact on Nowitzki not being selected to throw out the first pitch.
Right. And I like Minka Kelly for her acting skills.
Nowitzki threw out the first pitch at the Rangers’ June 24 game, right after the Mavericks won the title. It was a pretty good pitch, actually, Nowitzki has a little J.R. Richards in there.
Hey, Bug Selig and other MLB owners, I get you like the other insanely rich old white guys (and Michael Jordan) and want to back them, but let the teams pick their first pitch guys without interference. Or instant karma’s going to get you.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29