Oct 19, 2011, 1:39 PM EDT
There are a number of NBA players who have signed deals of various lengths overseas — more than 60 now. But this one is a little unique.
Grizzlies center Hamed Haddadi is headed back to his native Iran to play during the NBA lockout. His deal has an opt out to return to the Grizzlies, who have a $2 million option on him for next season (a procedural move that allows Memphis to match any other offers for the 7’3” big man).
Memphis Grizzlies center Hamed Haddadi joined Melli Haffari basketball team on Tuesday.
The Ahvaz-based basketball team signed Haddadi on a short-term contract for an undisclosed fee. Following the North America’s National Basketball Association (NBA)’s ongoing lockout, the Memphis Grizzlies center joined Melli Haffari to play for the Iranian Basketball League and will return to Memphis in December to take part in the training sessions
Haddadi had played for Iran in the FIBA Asia championships and led the team averaging 15.4 points per game. The Iranians were undefeated through their first six games but fell to Jordan in the quarterfinals and ended up finishing fifth (not good enough for a berth in either the Olympics or next summer’s second-chance qualifying tournament).
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games