Oct 19, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
The NBA owners are winning the public relations battle.
Not because the owners are in the right, they are not. But rather we know the players and can’t relate to them and their salaries, even when they offer to take less money (which they have).
Also, David Stern is far better at the PR game than Billy Hunter and Derek Fisher for the union. Shannon Brown — most recently of the Lakers but a free agent whenever the lockout ends — talked about Stern’s tactics, as reported by Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“People can tell you anything,” Brown said. “It’s like a guy who wants to get next to a chick. He’s going to tell her anything he wants just to get next to her. Just like the audience and the fans are being told anything (by the owners’ side) just to keep them from going super crazy about what’s really going on behind the scenes.”
It’s an interesting thought experiment: Could David Stern pick up a girl at a bar? Actually, I don’t want to think about that.
As we’ve said before, the players have stood their ground because they see ownership’s offer as unfair. And the players have offered to give up more than $1 billion in salary over the life of the next labor deal while the owners have not given up a thing they already had in hand.
Doesn’t matter. The players can’t win the PR battle because even if they accepted the owners’ terms they’d be in the 1 percent, not the 99 percent. They get paid well to play a game. While there are sacrifices and challenges and a limited window to make their money, the players can’t win the PR battle because of how much money we are talking about.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 9
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 5
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save