Oct 19, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT
Right now, Mike Krzyzewski is thinking and talking Duke hoops. That and how to keep the pesky father of Austin Rivers (some guy everyone calls “Doc”) from butting in at team practices.
But a few weeks ago he was in Las Vegas with some fellow coaches thinking 2012 London Olympics. Coach K, head coach for Team USA, met with his staff to do a little advanced planning.
The games tip off next July 27, and the NBA lockout could throw a wrench into his plans for a roster loaded with NBA stars. Krzyzewski was on ESPN’s Mike and Mike and talked about this, as transcribed by USA Today.
“We’re obviously really concerned,” the Duke Blue Devils’ coach said… “What if there isn’t a season? What if they expand (the season past June) if they start playing?
“We begin (Olympic) practice the 4th or 5th of July. The gold medal game is Aug. 12. If the NBA has to go into July, what does that do for us? If they don’t have a season, will they play (in the Olympics)?”
“The main thing we’re worried about is just the game. NBA basketball is the highest level in the world. … The thing I would worry about is injuries … the conditioning,” Krzyzewski said. “So you worry about that, just, would anybody get hurt?
“We’re going to wait until spring to announce who the 12 players will be on the team. We have a great pool, because everyone wants to play. … We have the world championship team (from last summer), plus (New York Knicks forward) Amar’e Stoudemire and (Los Angeles Clippers forward) Blake Griffin. … It will be a good, tough decision to make.”
He is right to be concerned. But as we’ve said, the top players that are healthy will be there — these guys are international brands and they are not going to miss out on a showcase on the biggest of international stages. This is huge for them, he will have his players. Which ones are left standing is another question.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay