Oct 19, 2011, 4:59 PM EDT
According to ESPN.com’s Marc Stein, Clippers forward, reigning Rookie of the Year, reigning Dunk Contest Champion, and former Oklahoma college superstar Blake Griffin will not be playing in a star-studded exhibition game this Sunday because of a cut he suffered while in the ocean:
Los Angeles Clippers star Blake Griffin has been forced to pull out of the Sunday charity exhibition game in Oklahoma City co-headlined by Kevin Durant because of a cut on his right foot, according to sources close to Griffin.
The former Oklahoma standout sustained a cut while in the ocean that required “a few stitches,” according to one source.
The injury is not serious, sources said, but will prevent Griffin from playing in the game Sunday night at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City, which holds roughly 14,000 for basketball games.
While players like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Paul will also be participating in the game, CBS’ Royce Young does make the point that Griffin being out takes away from the game’s “battle for Oklahoma” storyline, as Durant is the best player in Thunder history and Griffin had one of the best Oklahoma college careers in recent memory.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8