Oct 18, 2011, 10:08 AM EDT
Is this really even surprising?
“I prefer the European game to the NBA because basketball is a team sport and more beautiful to watch when the players pass the ball or when the ball movement to create shooting situations.”
Here’s the thing — 30 NBA coaches agree with Gasol. Well, maybe 29, who knows what Mark Jackson is thinking. But at what point have you heard any NBA coach say, “what we need is more isolation basketball and guys standing around, I’m sick of all this off-the-ball movement.” It doesn’t happen because of the players, not the coaches.
Phil Jackson’s brilliance (in addition to getting a team to focus and ignore outside distractions) was getting star players to buy into a system that required selflessness. The triangle was about spacing and ball movement, and Jackson got guys like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal to buy in. Or at least buy in enough to make it work. At its heart, the triangle offense was more European in style than what most NBA teams run.
And Gasol is right, when the Lakers really ran the triangle the basketball was a thing of beauty.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4