Oct 18, 2011, 10:08 AM EDT
Is this really even surprising?
“I prefer the European game to the NBA because basketball is a team sport and more beautiful to watch when the players pass the ball or when the ball movement to create shooting situations.”
Here’s the thing — 30 NBA coaches agree with Gasol. Well, maybe 29, who knows what Mark Jackson is thinking. But at what point have you heard any NBA coach say, “what we need is more isolation basketball and guys standing around, I’m sick of all this off-the-ball movement.” It doesn’t happen because of the players, not the coaches.
Phil Jackson’s brilliance (in addition to getting a team to focus and ignore outside distractions) was getting star players to buy into a system that required selflessness. The triangle was about spacing and ball movement, and Jackson got guys like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal to buy in. Or at least buy in enough to make it work. At its heart, the triangle offense was more European in style than what most NBA teams run.
And Gasol is right, when the Lakers really ran the triangle the basketball was a thing of beauty.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 10
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35