Oct 18, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT
But it seems to be what has happened — with Kobe out of the picture (save for maybe a “Kobe Cup” tour) it appears Virtus Roma (not the team after Kobe) is close to signing the Raptors forward, according to La Stampa, via Hoopshype.
Bargnani would get about $2 million if he plays the rest of the season in Rome. Bargnani has four years, $41.5 million left on his NBA deal (which the Raptors would be happy to trade if anyone is interested… anyone… hello… Bueller, Bueller).
The insurance issues have been dealt with and they have found a sponsor in AshleyMadison.com (the “dating” site for married people looking to have a fling). Which seems appropriate somehow with Bargnani essentially having a fling in Rome while the NBA cannot give him the satisfaction of games.
Bargnani can shoot the rock and gave the Raptors 21.4 points per game last season. But he’s not terribly efficient, isn’t a great rebounder and is a disinterested defender. Maybe he can find a better fit in a European system.
But he’s no Kobe Bryant.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 1
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 13
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 22
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29