Oct 18, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
I had thought that when Arte Moreno bought the Anaheim Angels (as they were then called) and at his introductory press conference announced a cut in beer prices, that was the best start ever by an owner.
Well, it is. But this is a close second.
Sixers owner Joshua Harris came in at his introductory press conference and started slashing ticket prices, reports CSNPhilly.com.
“I’m announcing today that going forward, we are slashing – and I mean slashing – ticket prices on individual game tickets on just under 9,000 seats at the Wells Fargo Center for each and every Sixers home game,” (new chief executive officer Adam) Aron said. “Indeed on thousands of seats each night, our ticket prices will be cut by 50 percent or more. This is not a sale or a promotion. These are our new ticket prices.”
To be clear, these cuts are for individual tickets, not season tickets. Aron said tickets in the lower bowl of the arena will go for as low as $29 – last season the cheapest lower bowl ticket was $54. That’s a 46 percent decrease. What’s more, a center court ticket in the eighth row of the mezzanine bowl will cost $20, down from $45 last season – a 56 percent cut.
That’s about as good a start as fans could hope for, outside of finding a taker for Elton Brand and his contract. (The owners could not talk about players or plans on the basketball side of the operation, due to the lockout and fear of the wrath of David Stern.
Here’s the video, in case you think we’re just toying with your emotions, Philly.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50