Oct 17, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
“The Kobe Cup”
That’s Kobe Bryant’s latest plans for Italy — an exhibition tour with some kind of cup to play for. Those plans of him playing even one game for Virtus Bologna are toast, according to Sportando, but his plans to return to Italy and play some games will not die. More accurately, Virtus owner Claudio Sabatini was jonesing for another public relations fix, so here we are.
As per La Gazzetta dello Sport, Claudio Sabatini and Rob Pelinka are still working silently to bring Kobe Bryant to Italy during the NBA lockout. The last idea is to organize three exhibition tournaments in Bologna, Roma and Milano with three teams for any stage. All the games would last 24 minutes with two quarters by 12′. Sabatini wants to involve also a foreign team because his idea is to sell the TV rights also abroad. The winner of the mini-tournament will lift the prestigious Kobe Cup. The three exhibition games will be organized, if the deal is going to be finalized, from the end of October till the beginning of November.
“The prestigious Kobe Cup?” Shouldn’t we let the cup actually get made and the games scheduled first?
This has about as much a chance of happening as “Real Steel” does of winning the Oscar for Best Picture. Sorry Hugh Jackman.
But an exhibition tour of some kind makes a lot more sense than Kobe playing for a team overseas. If the labor talks do fall apart in the next couple weeks, talks of overseas tours could pick up steam.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 26
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 50
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28