Oct 17, 2011, 3:02 PM EDT
It would balance out the karmic scales if, when the lockout ends, Eddy Curry were in shape and ready to play in the NBA while other guys had put on the weight he had shed.
That would amuse me, but I won’t believe it until I see it. I think the entire island of Manhattan is with me on that.
Curry, who interests the Heat, is in “excellent shape” and “no question” ready to join an NBA team post-lockout, well-regarded Chicago-based trainer Tim Grover told us last week. Grover declined to give Curry’s weight, which was 300 in August, down from 350 in March.
Grover said he advised Curry not to play in the (LeBron James Florida) charity game last weekend because “these are not games for big men.”
Grover is right about that — you see it every year at summer league, big guys get shut out when a coach isn’t screaming at the guards to feed the post. JaVale McGee should have dominated at the Drew/Goodman rematch, there was nobody his size on the court, but he rarely saw the ball (part of that was McGee being McGee, to be fair).
That said, Curry has played 72 garbage time minutes in 10 games over the last three NBA seasons, and he has been terrible in them. So count us with the skeptics until he proves us wrong. Because even if he had just shown up to the charity game and run up and down the court we would have had a better sense of him. Right now, there is no evidence to base any good reports on other than the word of a trainer working to get his client a shot.
That said, with the need for big men in this league, somebody will give him a camp invite. Watch.
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 0
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 7
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 9
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18