Oct 16, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
We’d like to congratulate billionaire Joshua Harris and his partners on the successful purchase of the Philadelphia 76ers basketball team which actually doesn’t play basketball at the moment. From the Philadelphia Inquirer:
The NBA Board of Governors has approved Comcast-Spectacors sale of the 76ers to a group of investors led by New York billionaire Joshua Harris, an NBA source confirmed.
The sale is expected to officially close early next week; the new ownership group is expected to hold a news conference, possibly as early as Tuesday.
Terms of the sale were agreed upon in July: $280 million for 100 percent of the franchise. Completion of the sale has been pending league approval for more than two months while the league is mired in a labor dispute with the NBA Players Association.
Now with the sale officially approved and set to go through, the Sixers’ new owners can get to work on owning a basketball team that doesn’t play basketball, working with management who don’t have players, and getting their plan for the future together since they don’t have a present.
It’s a good thing for Sixers fans that they have new ownership around their theoretical basketball team, because if we ever get the actual league back, the Sixers are in for some big decisions regarding Andre Iguodala, Evan Turner, and Thaddeus Young. Change is good and with Ed Stefanski already looking for a new gig, it seems big changes are planned for the franchise under new leadership.
The Sixers do not kick off their season at the beginning of next month.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47