Oct 16, 2011, 11:55 AM EDT
The phrase was termed by TrueHoop. “Hawks and doves” became the standard vernacular to describe the position of owners. They were either soft (doves, because doves are soft, you see) or hawks (hard-line, because hawks are mean, you see). As long as hawks rule the nest (or whatever), we’re not getting a season, because they’re looking to bleed the union’s stone until there’s nothing left but dust. But it turns out, one of those Hawks isn’t quite so committed to the campaign of domination.
Wyc Grousbeck was considered a Hawk from the start, wanting to increase the margin on his profit while setting himself up to make sure his inherent advantage of being the Celtics had the most impact. But the Boston Globe reports that’s not the case anymore.
Co-owner Wyc Grousbeck, who has been representing the team in labor negotiations and is part of the league’s Board of Governors, has not been as active recently as he was a few years ago. There was a perception that Grousbeck was a hard-line owner willing to cancel the season, but he has backed off that stance.
Grousbeck moving off the line is a good thing for anybody wanting a deal. It’s another big market owner wanting a reasonable compromise. It never made sense for Grousbeck to want massive changes anyway. The Celtics have contended for a title precisely because they brought in top-name talent via trades and extensions. They have the money to spend to win. Why want changes to that?
The Celtics tried drafting and growing a contender. That didn’t work out well. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it just to earn a little more. The money’s there.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30