Oct 15, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
Remember how Ed Stefanski was going to be the next Raptors GM, essentially working under Bryan Colangelo in what would largely be an assistant role since Colangelo is the guy who runs the show? And how it was a done deal and all that?
Yeah, not so much.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the deal has “hit a snag” and is now considered “stalled.” What that “means” is that Stefanski has “found” another job with better money and/or perks and is trying to get an “actual job” that involves “actual responsibility.” Where, might you ask? And who’s going to take the Raps job, then? Take it away, Wojster!
In the past several days, sources said, this development has caused former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower to re-emerge at the forefront of the search.
It’s unclear what caused the talks between Toronto president Bryan Colangelo and Stefanski to come undone, but several sources said what seemed inevitable a week ago – the hiring of Stefanski – has been derailed. Stefanski is trying to become more engaged in the Trail Blazers’ search, sources said.
The whole Sixers thing is bizarre. Thorn is brought in despite Stefanski’s presence, then new ownership comes in and obviously spooks Stefanski into pursuing other options. Meanwhile, he’s turning down a cushy job up north so that he can go and be the next in a long line of Blazers GMs who get canned because their owner is moodier than that chick I dated in college who said the Cure was her favorite band.
And then there’s Jeff Bower…
Yeah, no clue what to say about that.
This whole circular structure of NBA GMs is really confusing sometimes. Have we mentioned Kevin Pritchard still doesn’t have a job?
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 2
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 16
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)