Oct 15, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
Remember how Ed Stefanski was going to be the next Raptors GM, essentially working under Bryan Colangelo in what would largely be an assistant role since Colangelo is the guy who runs the show? And how it was a done deal and all that?
Yeah, not so much.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the deal has “hit a snag” and is now considered “stalled.” What that “means” is that Stefanski has “found” another job with better money and/or perks and is trying to get an “actual job” that involves “actual responsibility.” Where, might you ask? And who’s going to take the Raps job, then? Take it away, Wojster!
In the past several days, sources said, this development has caused former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower to re-emerge at the forefront of the search.
It’s unclear what caused the talks between Toronto president Bryan Colangelo and Stefanski to come undone, but several sources said what seemed inevitable a week ago – the hiring of Stefanski – has been derailed. Stefanski is trying to become more engaged in the Trail Blazers’ search, sources said.
The whole Sixers thing is bizarre. Thorn is brought in despite Stefanski’s presence, then new ownership comes in and obviously spooks Stefanski into pursuing other options. Meanwhile, he’s turning down a cushy job up north so that he can go and be the next in a long line of Blazers GMs who get canned because their owner is moodier than that chick I dated in college who said the Cure was her favorite band.
And then there’s Jeff Bower…
Yeah, no clue what to say about that.
This whole circular structure of NBA GMs is really confusing sometimes. Have we mentioned Kevin Pritchard still doesn’t have a job?
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 8
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11