Oct 14, 2011, 3:29 PM EST
I expected to read this note today about as much as I expected the Tea Party to endorse Occupy Wall Street.
But it turns out Suns owner Robert Sarver has some interesting pickup basketball partners — and an interesting game. Zach Lowe put up the story at Sports Illustrated’s The Point Forward.
It was with that image in mind the other day that I called, a Phoenix-based lawyer the players’ union brought on in the spring to file its complaint with the National Labor Relations Board. I was pushing Katz for an update on the NLRB case — and getting nowhere — when he mentioned as an aside that he plays in an adult men’s basketball league with Robert Sarver.
Robert Sarver? The guy who has been one of the hardline owners and has come off poorly? The guy whose wife asked him to bring back the mid-level exception in a handbag? That Robert Sarver?
Yup. And Katz had nice things to say about his game.
So what is Sarver like on the court? Katz compares him to Jared Dudley, in that Sarver is a tough jack-of-all-trades type who isn’t necessarily elite at any one part of the game. He works hard on defense, Katz says, and he can drain a three if he’s open.
Dudley — hard-core union guy — just threw up in his mouth a little. But I’d be curious to see Sarver on the court.
What I’m getting out of this is that my rec basketball league lacks some star power. I need an owner in it… although not sure I want Donald Sterling on my team, come to think of it.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 10
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 23
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 13
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15