Oct 14, 2011, 3:29 PM EDT
I expected to read this note today about as much as I expected the Tea Party to endorse Occupy Wall Street.
But it turns out Suns owner Robert Sarver has some interesting pickup basketball partners — and an interesting game. Zach Lowe put up the story at Sports Illustrated’s The Point Forward.
It was with that image in mind the other day that I called, a Phoenix-based lawyer the players’ union brought on in the spring to file its complaint with the National Labor Relations Board. I was pushing Katz for an update on the NLRB case — and getting nowhere — when he mentioned as an aside that he plays in an adult men’s basketball league with Robert Sarver.
Robert Sarver? The guy who has been one of the hardline owners and has come off poorly? The guy whose wife asked him to bring back the mid-level exception in a handbag? That Robert Sarver?
Yup. And Katz had nice things to say about his game.
So what is Sarver like on the court? Katz compares him to Jared Dudley, in that Sarver is a tough jack-of-all-trades type who isn’t necessarily elite at any one part of the game. He works hard on defense, Katz says, and he can drain a three if he’s open.
Dudley — hard-core union guy — just threw up in his mouth a little. But I’d be curious to see Sarver on the court.
What I’m getting out of this is that my rec basketball league lacks some star power. I need an owner in it… although not sure I want Donald Sterling on my team, come to think of it.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 37
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42