Oct 14, 2011, 5:38 PM EDT
Shane Battier is very much the black sheep of the NBPA. He was one of the first to challenge Billy Hunter on the issue of his salary in the lockout, and has consistently played contrarian to the NBPA’s homogeneous stream of rhetoric. On Friday, he took it a step further. With every NBA player out there saying 53 percent and no lower is their battle cry on BRI (that was an unfortunate rhyme), Battier said he’d be willing to budge if the money didn’t go to the owners, but to the fans.
Battier said that he himself wouldn’t have been able to go see games with how expensive tickets (and beer, for his dad) are, crediting his father for the sacrifice (not the beer, presumably).
It’s brave for Battier, another example of him breaking ranks in the pursuit of reason. Battier’s not in-line with the rest of the groupthink, and speaks what’s on his mind. We could use a few more out-of-the-box thinkers like Battier in the negotiating room, and fewer dogmatic ramblers.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 1
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 10
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay