Quote of the day: Billy Hunter is frustrated, metaphorically armed

Oct 14, 2011, 7:52 PM EDT

billy-hunter-david-stern Getty Images

“If someone wants to point a gun at my head, I’ll point it right back at him.”

-NBAPA chief Billy Hunter at the NBPA press conference, regarding David Stern’s comments about the possible cancellation of games until Christmas if a new CBA deal doesn’t get worked out soon. Reading between the lines just a little bit here, I’d say that negotiations are going less than swimmingly right now — it might be time to re-aquatint yourself with your local hockey team pretty soon.

1. yournuts - Oct 14, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I stand with the owners. The players don’t give a damn about the game. They want the money. Where else can they get paid this kind of money? If LeBron didn’t play basketball what could he do without a college degree? What kind of money would he make $500.00 a week? $1,000.00 a week? It is obscene to pay these guys this kind of money and they STILL want more. How greedy can you get? If I own a business then I am paying all the taxes and losing money in bad years and have to have to pay into a pension fund for the employees. I also have to pay the employees no matter if the business is doing well or suffering.
    I STAND WITH THE OWNERS!

• illegalblues - Oct 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM

That argument is awful. The players are giving back, not making more, with their CBA offer. It doesn’t matter what they would make without pro sports. Entertainment sells, everyone is looking for their own version of escapism right now. That’s where the money is at. Supply and demand. If you think they should make less, come up with an alternative. Plenty of people are waiting.

2. therealhtj - Oct 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I stand with the fans. I could care less if a owner loses his entire fortune or if a player can’t get a deal they think is fair.

As a fan, I want the best product possible. Guaranteed contracts in the NBA have diluted the product just as badly as expansion. If a franchise is on the wrong end of a bad one, that’s years of salary cap purgatory, and that helps just about no one besides the player whose only remaining interest in this great game is collecting a paycheck.

I’m of the sincere belief that removing these guaranteed deals from the new CBA will inspire an entirely new generation of driven, hard-working, players with a newfound respect for the game. I wish I had the same faith in these owners having the resolve to make it happen.

• theghostofwillisreed - Oct 15, 2011 at 12:15 AM

yeah, because it works so well in football. no labor/management unrest to speak of there with no guaranteed contracts…

3. basketballfan4life - Oct 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

@Younuts: U are officially the captain of all jackasses. the players are asking for more money. They are actually giving money back. The owners want them to give more and not expect raises if the clubs start making more money. Now who is being greedy? Inform urself before making comments sir.

4. jollyjoker2 - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Once these players hit 4,5 ,8 million per year its all about ego. They need to realize they aren’t qualified to operate a lemonaide stand with some of the degrees they have coming out of college. I say the owners should squeeze the heck out of them.

• theghostofwillisreed - Oct 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM

that’s why they are making millions playing a game and you are sitting at home showing your envy at a computer. give the players a little credit here. they have a skill which few people have and they are being compensated for. i never understood the hatred for professional ballplayers.

• jollyjoker2 - Oct 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM

No one ever said they should nt be compensated but they are acting like the owners have a bottomless pit of money and thinking that the other side will cave.Also, because your born 6 feet 11 with agility doesnt mean its skill. I would think genetics has a little bit of input. They are in a business and they should not try to kill the hand that feeds them, what that number is—who knows. If the players are pie in the sky, well you get what you get. David stern obviously has marching orders as some owners overextended and bought into to big of a league, now these same owners are going oh crap –why that heck did I buy. The only way out is to gut the players or charge more. The nba is like most professional sports, at some point the consumer says I aint gonna buy your 20 dollar beer and cheap looking cheerleaders.

• theoleboy - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM

What does have a college degree have to do with playing ball? C’mon man.

• theoleboy - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM

*having a college degree. My apologies.

• jollyjoker2 - Oct 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Really? Let’s see, I am getting millions to play ball versus ? What do most people have going? I think I will stick with ball.

5. ogre2010 - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I really don’t care because I can’t tell you when I watch a basketball NBA Basketball! I’m ready for college hoops though.

6. theoleboy - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I’m glad all the pro-owner folks from ProFootballTalk and people who don’t like the NBA have found their way to this page.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview