Dennis Rodman says players should “bow down” to owners

Oct 14, 2011, 8:42 AM EDT

Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony - Red Carpet Getty Images

Note to Derek Fisher: Don’t invite Dennis Rodman to speak at the National Basketball Players Association meeting in Los Angeles Friday.

The newly minted Hall of Famer is on the owners’ side. Completely.

He was in Toronto for the Pattison Canadian International (a big horse race in the Breeders Cup series) and when asked about the lockout threw his hat in with ownership, reports the Toronto Sun (via TrueHoop).

“I just think that … the players should bow down,” Rodman said. “They should bow down. In 1999 we (were locked out) and we missed half the season. The owners bowed down then. They gave the players everything. I think the players should do the same thing for the owners because today most of these teams are losing money. It’s not the players’ fault. It’s the owners’ fault. I think they should give a little bit and move on….

“I don’t think (the players) work that hard because most of the players don’t give a damn about the game. They want the money. I’m not taking the owners’ side, I just think the players should look at themselves. ‘OK, I’m making $16-million or $17-million a year but what have I accomplished?’ Most of the players haven’t accomplished anything. That’s what you have to look at.”

Rodman speaks for a lot of fans out there. Although we will say for the record that the owners did not bow down in 1999 — at the time that was considered a win for ownership. The owners go a cap on maximum salaries (just after Kevin Garnett and Shaquille O’Neal got massive deals) and a rookie salary cap. At the time the reporting was about how the owners bested the players.

Whatever the final labor deal is this time around, it will be seen as a win for the owners also (who are going to get a larger percentage of basketball related income). And you can be sure that in five years plenty of owners will be complaining about the deal, regardless. I’ve never seen a big business owner that thinks they are making enough money.

1. seanb20124 - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Players are losing money they can never recover. They will think about that once they are broke and divorced 3 years out of the league.

2. joj0420 - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

players need to grow a sack and just take the owners offer. yeah lose ur money or better yet how about all the money u lose u give to lower class people u greedy ass’ !!

3. thetooloftools - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM

This pretty much nails it.

4. Gordon - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM

+1 for Rodman

5. florida727 - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM

A lucid, intelligent opinion from Rodman? The NBA really is in trouble…

6. huddyk - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

“I got a family to feed….”
    Love, Latrell

7. therealhtj - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM

The owners pretty much got hosed on that last contract. Anyone but a shill for the union can see that, and Rodman nailed it on the head – too many dudes with huge, max contracts that really don’t care. They wanted a hard cap and non-guaranteed contracts then, and I hope they get it now.

As for the maximum contract being a “win” for the owners, how exactly is a 36 year old, deteriorating Kobe Bryant set to make 30 million a win for anybody? I Mean besides for Kobe, that is.

• goforthanddie - Oct 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Kobe is probably the only one who’s truly earned his huge paycheck. He sells merchandise and puts asses in the seats and banners in the rafters.

8. yournuts - Oct 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I stand with the owners. The players don’t give a damn about the game. They want the money. Where else can they get paid this kind of money? If LeBron didn’t play basketball what could he do without a college degree? What kind of money would he make $500.00 a week? $1,000.00 a week? It is obscene to pay these guys this kind of money and they STILL want more. How greedy can you get? If I own a business then I am paying all the taxes and losing money in bad years and have to have to pay into a pension fund for the employees. I also have to pay the employees no matter if the business is doing well or suffering.
    I STAND WITH THE OWNERS!

9. behaviorquest - Oct 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM

historical in terms of…Julius Erving, Oscar Roberson, Bill Russell taking mediocre teams to greatness, or as in Magic, Bird and MJ making the game relevant and prosperous for the owners and their friends at the networks? if you have so much disdain for the players i.e black people why are you even posting here? im sure theres a hate group a few clicks away, bonehead!

• yournuts - Oct 14, 2011 at 7:45 PM

What 12 million a year isn’t enough to live on? The owners are still paying their pension’s too. Their just greedy. Paying Kobe 30 million isn’t enough? Maybe we should pay our teachers 12 million each? Or Policemen that kind of money? THIS IS JUST GREED OF THE PLAYERS. The players don’t care about playing they care ONLY about the money. If they cared about playing they would already be at camp playing for 12 Million.
        What I find interesting is that some idiots give my post a thumbs down! Can it be that these are the players themselves or their friends? Who in their right mind wouldn’t play basketball every year for one million? Let alone 12 or 30 million? Give me a break GREED! GREEDY PLAYERS.

10. vrsatile1 - Oct 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM

@ behaviorquest …..Please define what you mean by NBA thugs? I’d love to know exactly what you mean.

11. yournuts - Oct 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Hey stayhigh-247, your the first person to use the race card! That is a new low here. Nobody has disdain for black people. We have distain for GREEDY BASKETBALL PLAYERS. BLACK, WHITE, ASIAN, EUROPEAN. Stop your racist bull. ALL THE GUYS THAT YOU MENTIONED Julius Erving, Oscar Roberson, Bill Russell, Magic, Bird and MJ made a lot of money when they played and are getting a pension and endorsements and other jobs. EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST GREED.

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM

actually i was waiting on a ridiculous reply like yours. I’m not pulling the race card, but i’m also not dumb enough to miss an intended slight. behaviorquest pulled the race card. who do you think he’s referring to when he talks about “thugs”? I’m pretty sure he doesn’t mean K Love, Dirk, Steve Nash or even Steve Blake. How can you defend that crap he wrote unless you share the same feelings? I’m not racist, but I’m also not dumb. look at what he wrote

“I think the general public could care less what the NBA thugs do or don’t do. They are historically a terrible example for our youth, unless it is inner city ganstas. I think they should be locked our if not locked up.”

seriously, u attack me for attacking racism? inner city gangstas, who else can he be referring to? historically a terrible example, wtf? where is this moron basing his facts from? of course there are dumbasses in the Nba, but also MLB, NFL, hockey, soccer and everywhere else, but he didnt say pro sports he singles out the NBA which has a majority of african american players. that guy is speaking from a paranoid place, where he generalizes a whole group for the actions of a few. if you honestly can’t see that behaviorquest harbors some level of racism then you must be as dumb as he is..

12. stayhigh_247 - Oct 15, 2011 at 1:27 AM

to yournuts
    in fact the article wasn’t even about race, or thugs, but he went there unprovoked. why aren’t you asking him why he even wrote that nonsense? people like you see what they want to see, and if attacking me makes you feel more liberal, and righteous, go for it bro! sure i’ll be the bad guy, i’ll be your scapegoat so you can feel better about yourself. america is afraid to honestly talk about race, you like to sweep those ugly truths under the rug and make like all is well. I’ll ay this for behaviorquest, at least he spoke his mind and isn’t on the fence like you. i’m not gonna bite my tongue when I see a bonehead make a racist statement and try to disguise it under sports talk.

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM

No, you’re nuts! greedy players? really? what the hell do you call the owners then? 12 mill not enough to live on? is 300 million not enough to live on for the owners? boy , u need to pull your head out your ass. those owners are making a lot of money. if they can afford to pay guys 12 mill what the hell do you think they’re pulling in? they got you fooled good. well you keep sympathizing with a billionaire who could care less if you starve to death or not as long as you buy a jersey, a ticket, and an overpriced hotdog. seriously yournuts , you need to analyze the whole situation before making statements like that. None of those owners are headed for skid row due to this lockout. they are the 1% that the protesters are picketing across the country and you’re worried about their wellfare? you’re confused son.

• yournuts - Oct 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM

to stayhigh_247
      I was talking about your comment ” if you have so much disdain for the players i.e black people why are you even posting here? ” it’s in your post Oct 14 1:08 PM. BEHAVIORQUEST didn’t make a Racist remark. Since when is inner city ganstas all about Blacks? I grew up in the inner city, and I know it’s not all about Blacks in the inner cities. Some of y best friends are blacks. They also feel the same way as I do. There are Mexican’s, Puerto Rican’s, Russian’s and all kinds of different nationalities all living in the inner cities these days. You made the race card.

I’m not on the fence, I attacked your comments because they make no sense. Why are you bringing up MJ? He made enough to own a team, That’s not enough for him, to own a team, become world famous, make tons of money with endorsements? Bill Russell is a spokesman for the NBA, Larry Bird is the President of Basketball operations for the Pacers, Oscar Robertson has gotten his doctorate and is retired, Julius Irving made a fortune in Video games in the 70’s and 80’s. Tell me what your point is other than race? Was it not a two way street? Did they not get paid and become famous? Nobody understands your point.

Well Einstein, !I’ll talk about race anytime you want. I love your comments that justify calling me a racist because I don’t agree with what you wrote at all.

Let me make it easy for you, players get FREE EDUCATION, FREE HEALTHCARE, MAKE MORE MONEY IN ONE YEAR THAN THE AVERAGE POLICEMAN, FIREMAN, TEACHER OR OFFICE WORKER GET IN THEIR LIFETIMES. Have access to endorsement deals, movie deals and probably will never have to provide for their families after one year in the NBA and their not satisfied with their circumstance? This is what I call Greed! What do you call it?

13. Robert - Oct 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Rodman is correct.

Sports wise America doesn’t need the NBA

With the economy in the toliet, do you realy think most Americans feel sorry for these players that make 500k a game?

Nope.

There is other sports, there are other entertainment venues. The NBA is pure arrogance. They think those of us at home will really suffer without their product.

Stay on strike NBA. Nobody cares.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches