Oct 13, 2011, 10:20 AM EDT
I’d say I’m surprised but I’m not. Tuesday at about mid-day I saw my first indications that something was brewing in Sacramento – a seemingly innocuous tweet from Sacramento Kings fan Amy Hyden (@sacgirl88) to G/F Donte’ Greene about setting up an exhibition game:
@dontegreeneCOS hey Donte, Is there any way you can set up an exhibition game in Sac-town for the fans who <3 the kings? #KingsFans
After paying boyfriend tax – a jog, a dinner, and an hour of Dancing with the Stars (Nancy Grace, Chaz Bono, and special officer Doofy to be exact) – I returned to my Twitter account to find that Greene had accepted, that he had contacted all of his basketball buddies via Twitter, and that Kings fans had organized en masse to ‘encourage’ the effort.
For those wondering how one tweet turned into an exhibition game, our friend Jonathan Santiago has the blow-by-blow over at Cowbell Kingdom.
The game could include Kings teammates Tyreke Evans, DeMarcus Cousins, Jimmer Fredette, Jason Thompson, Isaiah Thomas, Hassan Whiteside, and from outside the team John Wall, DeAndre Jordan, Matt Barnes, and Jonny Flynn have also been invited.
Greene has yet to settle on a venue, but they’re targeting the weekend before Thanksgiving to play the game, assuming the lockout is still in effect. Proceeds from the game will go to charity, and Greene says that he’d like to donate to breast cancer charities – a worthy cause indeed.
In the hilarious quote of the day department, Greene said about Jimmer’s attendance in particular:
“I don’t think he wants the upper-decker so he might want to show up to the game,” referring to the hazing he’ll get if he doesn’t show, and not everybody’s favorite act of misplaced defecation.
Of everybody contacted, most have expressed interest in playing the game, and now local media has jumped all over the event and is promoting it with the Twitter hashtag, #MakeItHappen.
All of this happened within six hours on a normal Tuesday night – in the time it takes David Stern and Billy Hunter to play a game of Go Fish (no you go fish, no you go fish). It speaks to the ability for people in this day and age to get things done if they truly want to. Maybe if David Stern hung out with Kings fans for a day, he’d figure out how to convince the naysayers not to pour the baby out with the bathwater.
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 5
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 12
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 23
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 7
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy