Danny Granger doesn’t think the players need the NBA… or salaries to play the canceled games

Oct 13, 2011, 6:04 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Who needs the NBA, really? And who needs to get paid? Most people, including myself, have rolled their eyes at every #LetUsPlay tweet that’s filled their Twitter timelines since Monday, since the players are actually saying #LetUsPlayForTheDealWeThinkIsFair. It’s not that their proposal isn’t fair, it mostly is (but not in totality), same as the owners, depending on how you look at it (and which version of the Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde owners’ proposals you’re looking at). It’s that the players don’t just want to play. They want their money. Particularly as much of it as they can reasonably salvage from this extortion from the owners.

But Danny Granger? He’s putting his money where his mouth is. Or not putting his money where his mouth is. Something like that. Granger tweeted earlier this week:

I say we play all the games Stern canceled for charity….Wed Oct 12 18:01:43 via Twitter for BlackBerry®

You want to win public support, forever? That. Exactly that. Doesn’t have to be every guy. You get 8 out of 10 starters and you’ve got enough for it to seem like an NBA game with a few injuries. Need a place to play? Pack a Boys and Girls Club to the rafters. Use concert halls, street parks, everything. It would be guerrilla basketball and it would instantly put fans in each city on your side. Don’t have to play all of them. But play enough of them and you look like athletes who genuinely care about their fans and their work. You create enormous goodwill, which will penetrate with local businesses, businesses which the NBA needs at the sponsorship level.

It’s not going to win you the lockout. But by God, it will erase the idea that you’re sniveling greedy overpaid millionaires who only care about the game as long as they’re paid. PS, if you market it right, you’re going to become the basketball version of the indy band everyone loves before they sign with a major label.

1. stadix093 - Oct 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I live in souther California which is the west coasts Mecca of basketball and all I can say is, where do I get my tickets?Make it happen Danny.

• stadix093 - Oct 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Or southern if you want it spelled correctly.

2. danielcp0303 - Oct 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

The sad thing is that most of the players would never do it. Mostly because of the money and because of injuries, which I totally understand. On the other side of it though, it would be an incredible thing for the players to do. It wouldn’t even have to be the whole schedule or anything, just some games would be nice. People would come too.

3. 00maltliquor - Oct 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM

I knew I loved Danny Granger for a reason!! But in all reality, it wouldn’t work out. What about free agents in limbo? There’s no telling whether their team will re-sign them or if those players would even want to re-sign. And that could make a huuuuge difference on what teams eventually look like, especially in the potential wins/loss colum. That would compromise the legitimsy of the season and the eventual champs. Know what I’m saying? Great thought though if you want to just play those games without having them count once the new CBA gets inked. And good luck on getting those over seas players to leave their paid gigs to come play for free and risk un-insured injury.

4. vikingfresh - Oct 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM

If the Players actually went through with this I think 98 percent of the blame for the lockout would be held on the owners. As of now I am personally sick of both sides. If the season does not resume then the league should use scabs to play. I bet that would make the players tongue hang. So who as the intestinal fortitude to make a move?

I am a die hard fan of the NBA and BC of the lockout i promise that i will strike against them and not spend a dollar on the NBA whether it is for the any Team Merchandise, game tickets or the TV package.

Will the players Play for free to gain the Respect and Backing of the fans?
    Will the Owners use replacement and make the players realize how good they use to have it?

5. therealhtj - Oct 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

As long as we’re on the topic, why don’t they just join Kobe in Italy? We can file both those ideas under #thingsthatwillneverhappen and #waseddycurryfair?

6. cosanostra71 - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I would back the players if they did this, but I’m still ticked off at the NBA as a whole

7. Charlie Hunter - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM

old UK players have been playing charitable games across the state for the past week or so. just doesn’t.get the press.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches