Carmelo Anthony says he made the right decision with trade

Oct 13, 2011, 11:50 AM EDT

New York Knicks Introduce Carmelo Anthony Getty Images

It was an ugly mess watching Carmelo Anthony force his way out of Denver last season.

But for Anthony, it was the right move. He looks at the ongoing lockout, the lost games, the limbo he would be in as a free agent and thinks how he handled everything worked out for the best.

That’s what he told Newsday.

“I think I did the right thing,” Anthony told reporters Wednesday while promoting the release of his new Jordan Brand sneaker, Melo8, in Manhattan…

“For the average person out there who really thought I was just trying to get up and just leave for no reason, that really was a big key in my decision,” Anthony said about the lockout. “I knew free agency was coming, I knew it would be altered, I knew it’d be messed up, so imagine if I’d have stayed. I’d have been a free agent now in limbo.”

Anthony is right, for him this was the smart play and worked out like he hoped. No doubt.

But I’d still argue — as Donnie Walsh did at the time — that the Knicks would have been better off not blowing up their team to get him. Melo was going to come to New York anyway, if they had waited for him to go into limbo then signed him to a deal under the new labor rules they’d have some solid role players to put around their two stars (or pieces to trade to get what they need). Now they have to find good fits again, and it will not be easy under the new salary structure (whatever it is).

1. thetooloftools - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM

So is forcing his way out of Denver good for Denver too, or only good for him? Players want guaranteed long term money, but also want to leave to go to other teams for huge money or force the hand. Which way do they want it because in this next CBA they will not have it both ways.

2. savocabol1 - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Players should always be able to go to the team they want. However, they shouldn’t be allowed to hold a franchise hostage in order to get their way. I hope the new CBA fixes this.

• marcusfitzhugh - Oct 13, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Players can go to any team they want. They just have to sign a one year contract. Player won’t do this because of the issue of being injured and/or a long term contract affords them the luxury of being overpaid at some stage of their career.

3. sknut - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I get wanting to play where you want to play but that whole quote was me, myself and I. He still would have been fine even as a free agent in limbo, he is a premier player and is going to get his. His attitude is tired and gives some insight into how he views the game.

4. eureca323 - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I disagree that Melo would have come to New York anyways. Yes Melo would have wanted to come to NY, but lets not forget this scenario would have happened under the new CBA where the cap would would have likely been way lowered. It is unlikely the Knicks would have had cap room in the new CBA to sign Melo. Which is exactly what the Knicks assumed. They knew they had to get Melo in a trade now or they probably would not had been able to get him.

5. leearmon - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Its funny, Lebron James was public enemy number one after the “Decision” for the way he “left” Cleveland (although he was a free agent). Now Carmelo Anthony is a villain due to the way he “left” Denver, although they acted in two different ways. If you are going to be mad at Lebron because he didnt give the Cavs a heads up, how then can you be upset with Melo because he told the Nuggets he wasn’t re-signing there? He gave Denver the best opportunity to get the best deal for the team. He wasn’t obligated to re-sign in Denver. The Nuggets wanted him back, he told them he wasnt going to re-sign. What else is he supposed to do? He played there 7 1/2 seasons! This idea that players “shouldn’t be allowed to leave” is asinine. Denver made out like bandits in that trade. They could have rolled the dice and kept Melo as well, but they made the choice, the right one IMHO, to get the most for their asset. Yet Carmelo is wrong in this? I laugh when I hear “Player X held a team hostage” Exactly how did Carmelo do that? He was offered a contract, and said he wouldn’t sign it. So are you saying that if a player chooses not to sign a contract, and enter the free market, he then is holding a team hostage? Do you see the slippery slope there? Melo never spoke about being traded in the public, all of that noise came from the Nuggets/Nets/Knicks front offices. He didnt put his situation ahead of the team, he still produced at a high level. He didnt want to stay in Denver and gave the Nuggets options. Denver still had their free will to do whatever they wanted, they just chose to trade him to New York. Thats hardly the same thing that Lebron did, and in my eyes I cant understand how he wronged Denver, or the game.

• dysraw1 - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Lebron left his home town team in lembo for an intire season to pull that punk ass crap he did .The king abandon ship on some low down dirty. I mean yo be a man about yours, Im sure the cavs, would love a chance to get all the players Denver got.

6. philtration - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:15 PM

So did the Nuggets.

7. dysraw1 - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Back in the day when B.K came home Bernard King for you lame dogs who know nothing of this game. But anyway it was like destine to happen. Nobody made big deal about it, I hope Melo can do half of what B.K did for this town and basketball

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches