Report: Kobe Bryant close to $2 million, one-game deal in Italy

Oct 12, 2011, 10:08 AM EDT

Italy Basketball Bryant Bologna AP

I’ll believe it when I see him walk on the court in another uniform, but the Kobe Bryant to Italy rumors remain the cockroach of rumors and will not go away.

But if it were to happen, this new one-game “Kobe night” rumor makes more sense.

That is the latest report out of Italy via Sportando.

Kobe Bryant, as reported by Il Resto del Carlino, is close to accepting the single game proposal made by Claudio Sabatini, owner of Virtus Bologna. The two parts are negotiating intensively in the last hour and a solution for the saga seems close to end. Kobe Bryant would land in Italy for four days and play one game in the ‘Kobe Night’. According to Sabatini there are already sponsors and networks ready to cover the event.

Sabatini offered to Bryant $2M for the single game.

I can get why Kobe does this — and it’s not just the cash. It’s one game and boosts his global brand, plus it’s in Italy where he spent eight years of his youth (while his father played professionally there).

Could the team recoup $2 million on one Kobe game? Maybe. That’s reportedly about what the Lakers pull in per game in gross revenue, and if Virtus can get sponsors and a special broadcast maybe it works. Plus, a lot of people will buy Virtus Kobe jerseys.

But I’ll believe it when I see it.

1. therealhtj - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Um here’s why this never happens:

“Hello, Lloyd, Lloyd of London? It’s me, KB24, the black mamba!”
    “Yeah, wassup man. Hey I was wondering, how much it gonna cost to insure about 83.5 million against injury?”
    “Hello?”
    “Yo Lloyd, you there?”
    “Yo Lloyd?”
    “LLOYD?”
    “Damn, punk *(#&^%(&%$^*Q# hung up on me!”
    “Yo Rob, tell virtual baloney to go float another rumor, and book me on another Nike tour or somethin'”

2. skids003 - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Proves there’s one born every minute. What idiot would pay him this for one game?

3. berbes - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:57 AM

he’s running low on roofies and could use the cash infusion.

4. mrdeuce06 - Oct 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I smell some hating going on!

5. thetooloftools - Oct 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I wonder how many bench warmers and mid level players will get offers like this?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches