Oct 12, 2011, 5:01 PM EDT
The NBA owners and players are barely talking — although they are getting a federal mediator — so the owners are going to talk amongst themselves.
David Stern conducted a conference call with his labor relations committee this week and next week all the owners will gather together to talk lockout and revenue sharing, the New York Post reports.
The two sides are going to meet in New York on Monday to talk with the help of a federal mediator.
Something the owners need to consider when they sit down next week is something we discussed earlier today at PBT — the owners need to give the players some kind of victory to end this. They cannot be the Roman Army rolling into, well, just about anywhere before 200 AD — victory and submission are not total. This is a negotiation; you need to offer them some path that the union can claim as a victory to end this. It’s not trendy to do that in America, we have become divided and strident in our politics. This should be different.
It’s not all or nothing, it’s about the bigger picture of what is good for the game. Maybe it’s BRI, maybe it’s the system, but the owners have won the negotiations now they need to give a little and end this before the damage they do wipes out all the gains they are making.
I’m guessing that will not be the tone in the room, however.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?