Oct 12, 2011, 8:00 PM EST
Mark Jackson is in the same position as Jake and Elwood. He’s on a mission from “Gad.’
Jackson is a deeply spiritual man. In fact, he actually has done his fair share of preaching. Naw, for real.
Which, regardless of your spiritual affiliation, is pretty awesome. Man’s got soul.
So much soul, in fact, that he has said that the Warriors aren’t just a job for him. It’s his destiny, sent down from the Almighty Hisownself.
From Grantland, emphasis ours, not his. Or His.
Do you have to put your pastor duties aside once the NBA season starts?
I never put it aside. It’s a full-time call. My wife is the co-pastor, and I’m a man of tremendous faith. I believe that me being the head coach of the Golden State Warriors is an assignment from God. I look at it from both positions. The Bible says to whom much is given, much is required. So I don’t believe the pressures on me to perform both positions.
Going to be completely honest with you. If the Lord is taking time out of his busy schedule to send down assignments for color commentators and former point guards to take over struggling franchises and teach them the values of “hand down, man down,” then we may be screwed as a universe.
But if I’m putting down the jokes, here’s something real. Mark Jackson. I was at the presser during the Finals to announce it and the man genuinely believes in what he says and does. He really was upset with leaving the ABC team, sharing a tearful embrace with Doris Burke after the presser. He really does preach. He really does believe that he can make the Warriors into a championship team. The lockout has shown us how much of this sport is driven by agenda and greed. At least with Jackson Warriors are getting someone who’s genuine in his intentions on and off the floor.
BE HEALED, ANDRIS BIEDRINS!
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)