Charles Barkley may donate TNT salary as lockout drags on

Oct 12, 2011, 8:04 AM EST

2010 NBA All-Star T-Mobile Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam Getty Images

Charles Barkley likes money. A lot. You really can’t underestimate this. He just doesn’t want to be given money he hasn’t earned. (Insert your own craps table joke here, I’m not going there.)

His contract with TNT as an NBA analyst has him getting paid whether there is a season or not. So while the NBA players will be missing a check for the first two weeks of the regular season, Barkley will get paid.

Barkley told ESPN Radio in Chicago that makes him uncomfortable, so he’s considering a new plan.

“I haven’t told anybody, but I’m actually — believe it or not — I’m leaning toward donating it to charity,” Barkley said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I don’t think it’s cool for me to take money I haven’t earned.

“My decision is either going to be defer it or give it to charity….

“The problem I have is if these guys hold out all season, it’s going to be a lot of money,” Barkley said. “That’s why I have to make that decision. I haven’t made the final decision. I don’t feel comfortable taking money for not working.”

That would be a very charitable move by Barkley, not something everyone would do.

I hope Barkley gets paid some money he feels comfortable keeping because he has to work soon.

1. edmazeing1 - Oct 12, 2011 at 8:11 AM

That should earn the respect of alot of CB34 haters!!!

2. thetooloftools - Oct 12, 2011 at 9:00 AM

“I don’t think it’s cool for me to take money I haven’t earned”. Charles would never make it on Wall Street.

3. flipisatrip - Oct 12, 2011 at 9:13 AM

His charity should be to pay the wages of the concession workers and other employees at the stadiums that are about to be laid off.

4. therealhtj - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Mark it down on your calendars everybody – the first time in history an NBA player willingly walks away from guaranteed money.

• seanpaul83 - Oct 13, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Bibby did it this past season… and i can guarantee it was more than what chuck is getting.

5. premiumpit - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Thats so true. On wall st your have a be a spineless piece of s$$t. I hope he does give it to a charity. Good post

6. rajbais - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:29 AM

That’s very classy of Charles.

Now he needs to donate the food he’s ordered!

7. sknut - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I also hope its a lesson to the other players and owners about greed.

Good job Charles you are going to make some charity very happy.

8. clownsfan - Oct 12, 2011 at 11:06 AM

ALWAYS liked CB. Straight shooter right or wrong. Stands by his statements. Strong in his convictions.

9. bmoreballers - Oct 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM

He hasn’t donated anything yet. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches