Oct 12, 2011, 8:04 AM EDT
Charles Barkley likes money. A lot. You really can’t underestimate this. He just doesn’t want to be given money he hasn’t earned. (Insert your own craps table joke here, I’m not going there.)
His contract with TNT as an NBA analyst has him getting paid whether there is a season or not. So while the NBA players will be missing a check for the first two weeks of the regular season, Barkley will get paid.
Barkley told ESPN Radio in Chicago that makes him uncomfortable, so he’s considering a new plan.
“I haven’t told anybody, but I’m actually — believe it or not — I’m leaning toward donating it to charity,” Barkley said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I don’t think it’s cool for me to take money I haven’t earned.
“My decision is either going to be defer it or give it to charity….
“The problem I have is if these guys hold out all season, it’s going to be a lot of money,” Barkley said. “That’s why I have to make that decision. I haven’t made the final decision. I don’t feel comfortable taking money for not working.”
That would be a very charitable move by Barkley, not something everyone would do.
I hope Barkley gets paid some money he feels comfortable keeping because he has to work soon.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 6
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 22
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9