Oct 12, 2011, 8:04 AM EDT
Charles Barkley likes money. A lot. You really can’t underestimate this. He just doesn’t want to be given money he hasn’t earned. (Insert your own craps table joke here, I’m not going there.)
His contract with TNT as an NBA analyst has him getting paid whether there is a season or not. So while the NBA players will be missing a check for the first two weeks of the regular season, Barkley will get paid.
Barkley told ESPN Radio in Chicago that makes him uncomfortable, so he’s considering a new plan.
“I haven’t told anybody, but I’m actually — believe it or not — I’m leaning toward donating it to charity,” Barkley said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I don’t think it’s cool for me to take money I haven’t earned.
“My decision is either going to be defer it or give it to charity….
“The problem I have is if these guys hold out all season, it’s going to be a lot of money,” Barkley said. “That’s why I have to make that decision. I haven’t made the final decision. I don’t feel comfortable taking money for not working.”
That would be a very charitable move by Barkley, not something everyone would do.
I hope Barkley gets paid some money he feels comfortable keeping because he has to work soon.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28