Oct 12, 2011, 8:04 AM EDT
Charles Barkley likes money. A lot. You really can’t underestimate this. He just doesn’t want to be given money he hasn’t earned. (Insert your own craps table joke here, I’m not going there.)
His contract with TNT as an NBA analyst has him getting paid whether there is a season or not. So while the NBA players will be missing a check for the first two weeks of the regular season, Barkley will get paid.
Barkley told ESPN Radio in Chicago that makes him uncomfortable, so he’s considering a new plan.
“I haven’t told anybody, but I’m actually — believe it or not — I’m leaning toward donating it to charity,” Barkley said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I don’t think it’s cool for me to take money I haven’t earned.
“My decision is either going to be defer it or give it to charity….
“The problem I have is if these guys hold out all season, it’s going to be a lot of money,” Barkley said. “That’s why I have to make that decision. I haven’t made the final decision. I don’t feel comfortable taking money for not working.”
That would be a very charitable move by Barkley, not something everyone would do.
I hope Barkley gets paid some money he feels comfortable keeping because he has to work soon.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43