Oct 12, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Hey, remember when Ben Gordon was an elite scorer in the league, making huge buckets against the Celtics in one of the most exciting playoff series in league history? Yeah, me neither. But his time in Detroit must have seriously put the grumpies in his soul, because his interview with the Detroit Free Press is like a Smiths album. Seriously, reading it is like diving into a big pool of disillusionment.
He sat in on labor negotiations late last month that Gordon on Tuesday described as a “waste of time.”
And the Pistons shooting guard thinks its only a matter of time before more games are canceled.”I think there will be more games missed,” Gordon said when reached by phone as he was driving to Chicago. “I expect it might be a year or two. I realized that when I was listening to both sides during the negotiations. I think there will be a lot of games missed and more money is going to go down the drain.
“I’m preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.”
Years? Are you trying to drive me to the bottle, Ben? If this thing goes years it’s going to send the league back to the stone age. What’s worse, even as close as the two sides are and with a federal mediator being brought in, you can see it happening. That’s how phenomenally stupid both sides have been throughout this process, going back to January of 2009.
But if we’re looking for someone to try and bring the process forward with positive vibes, Gordon’s not it.
Maybe it’s a British thing.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50