Oct 12, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Hey, remember when Ben Gordon was an elite scorer in the league, making huge buckets against the Celtics in one of the most exciting playoff series in league history? Yeah, me neither. But his time in Detroit must have seriously put the grumpies in his soul, because his interview with the Detroit Free Press is like a Smiths album. Seriously, reading it is like diving into a big pool of disillusionment.
He sat in on labor negotiations late last month that Gordon on Tuesday described as a “waste of time.”
And the Pistons shooting guard thinks its only a matter of time before more games are canceled.”I think there will be more games missed,” Gordon said when reached by phone as he was driving to Chicago. “I expect it might be a year or two. I realized that when I was listening to both sides during the negotiations. I think there will be a lot of games missed and more money is going to go down the drain.
“I’m preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.”
Years? Are you trying to drive me to the bottle, Ben? If this thing goes years it’s going to send the league back to the stone age. What’s worse, even as close as the two sides are and with a federal mediator being brought in, you can see it happening. That’s how phenomenally stupid both sides have been throughout this process, going back to January of 2009.
But if we’re looking for someone to try and bring the process forward with positive vibes, Gordon’s not it.
Maybe it’s a British thing.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 2
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10