Oct 12, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Hey, remember when Ben Gordon was an elite scorer in the league, making huge buckets against the Celtics in one of the most exciting playoff series in league history? Yeah, me neither. But his time in Detroit must have seriously put the grumpies in his soul, because his interview with the Detroit Free Press is like a Smiths album. Seriously, reading it is like diving into a big pool of disillusionment.
He sat in on labor negotiations late last month that Gordon on Tuesday described as a “waste of time.”
And the Pistons shooting guard thinks its only a matter of time before more games are canceled.”I think there will be more games missed,” Gordon said when reached by phone as he was driving to Chicago. “I expect it might be a year or two. I realized that when I was listening to both sides during the negotiations. I think there will be a lot of games missed and more money is going to go down the drain.
“I’m preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.”
Years? Are you trying to drive me to the bottle, Ben? If this thing goes years it’s going to send the league back to the stone age. What’s worse, even as close as the two sides are and with a federal mediator being brought in, you can see it happening. That’s how phenomenally stupid both sides have been throughout this process, going back to January of 2009.
But if we’re looking for someone to try and bring the process forward with positive vibes, Gordon’s not it.
Maybe it’s a British thing.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 0
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 14
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 14
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 40
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5