Oct 11, 2011, 11:50 AM EDT
For a lot of players, the reality of the lockout came crashing down on them in the last 24 hours.
Those same players have been giving lip service to the idea of heading overseas if the lockout dragged on, and you can bet some agents’ phones rang off the hook Monday night. Those players are serious now about going overseas and agents expect spots to open up for them.
There are not a lot of open spots on European rosters now and teams will be hesitant to blow up what they have for NBA players. Here is what the very connected Jonathan Givony of Draft Express was tweeting Tuesday.
Speaking from experience after approaching 15-20 NBA players w/serious offers from int’l teams. Most agents just don’t understand the market… I have no issues w/that, but don’t expect these teams to bail you out now that reality finally hit you in the face. The market is 97% closed
Biggest problem is we’re really starting to see how overpaid/overrated a lot of these NBA guys are. Those that did sign haven’t justified it
That last sentence is key — teams that have shelled out big money for NBA talent have not seen the boost at the box office (and often on the court) that they expected.
It’s a different game over here. There is less spacing, the officiating isn’t the same. Pretty much every aspect of the game is different than in the NBA. I’m just learning and adjusting as we go. I still haven’t found my rhythm…
The arena we play at seats 3,200 people max, so it’s not quite the same environment of an NBA game and it hasn’t been full yet because these aren’t the really big games. Once we start the Turkish league games, it will be different, I think.
And that is D-Will, one of the five best point guards on the planet. This isn’t some NBA bench guy, this is a legitimate star who has struggled on the court and isn’t selling out a small building. After that, you expect European teams to start ripping up rosters and shelling out big money for NBA guys?
Don’t expect the floodgates to open for NBA players wanting to go overseas. Those gates are pretty much closed.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 10
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32