Oct 10, 2011, 5:31 PM EST
Rudy Gay, who was forced to sit on the sidelines and watch the Grizzlies’ incredible playoff run last season, recently sat down and talked with Grantland’s Jonathan Abrams about his recovery from the serious shoulder injury he suffered:
What’s it like to get back on the court?
I was excited and kind of had to crash. I got real tired, and right now I’m working myself back. I wasn’t able to do anything for seven months.
How did you fill that time up?
Sulking, for the most part.
What was going through your head while you watched the Grizzlies during their playoff run?
It was tough. But I think I needed it for my career. I’ve never been injured, never been anything. Now I take care of my body better. I’m planning to play every game like my last, because I know what it’s like to get it taken away from you.
Gay goes on to talk about how he thinks the Grizzlies would have done in the playoffs if he had been healthy, Zach Randolph‘s breakout playoff performance, how he’s at about “90%” right now, and how he doesn’t think he could guard LeBron, or himself, for 40 straight minutes with the way the NBA is now.
The Grizzlies will certainly be glad to have Gay’s perimeter scoring back in the lineup, but Gay, a historically weak defender, may have to expend more energy on that end of the floor next season if the Grizzlies want to build on their defense-fueled playoff success.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday 0
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 8
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 7
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 16
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)