Oct 10, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Let the New York tabloid speculation begin.
Actually, even they likely can’t come up with a reasonable scenario where Kobe Bryant becomes a Knick (not that tabloids make their money on being reasonable).
“I would actually like to play with Melo.” Bryant said. “Championships are won on the inside and I’m always thinking about winning the title. I would love to play with Melo because I would know that I have an inside presence. That’s really been the biggest strength with our Lakers team. We have a lot of guys who can play in the post, and that’s how you win championships. I can post, Lamar [Odom] can post, Ron [Artest] can post, Pau [Gasol] can post and Andrew [Bynum] can post. Teams are usually lucky if they have one guy that can control the block. But yeah, I would love to play with Melo.”
It’s a nice theory, but ‘Melo, like Kobe, is a wing isolation player at heart. Last season 37 percent of his offensive sets came as isolations, both in Denver and New York (stats via Synergy Sports). In New York he was in the post 11.4 percent of the time, in Denver 15.9 percent. And in the post last year (201 attempts) Anthony shot just 38.7 percent.
So, maybe you should stick with the post players you have Kobe, they’re better in that spot. Plus, Melo would just take wing shots away from you.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 37
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5