Kobe wishes he could play with Carmelo Anthony

Oct 10, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Let the New York tabloid speculation begin.

Actually, even they likely can’t come up with a reasonable scenario where Kobe Bryant becomes a Knick (not that tabloids make their money on being reasonable).

But when asked who Kobe most wants to play with, he named the Knicks Carmelo Anthony (via Hoopsworld).

“I would actually like to play with Melo.” Bryant said. “Championships are won on the inside and I’m always thinking about winning the title. I would love to play with Melo because I would know that I have an inside presence. That’s really been the biggest strength with our Lakers team. We have a lot of guys who can play in the post, and that’s how you win championships. I can post, Lamar [Odom] can post, Ron [Artest] can post, Pau [Gasol] can post and Andrew [Bynum] can post. Teams are usually lucky if they have one guy that can control the block. But yeah, I would love to play with Melo.”

It’s a nice theory, but ‘Melo, like Kobe, is a wing isolation player at heart. Last season 37 percent of his offensive sets came as isolations, both in Denver and New York (stats via Synergy Sports). In New York he was in the post 11.4 percent of the time, in Denver 15.9 percent. And in the post last year (201 attempts) Anthony shot just 38.7 percent.

So, maybe you should stick with the post players you have Kobe, they’re better in that spot. Plus, Melo would just take wing shots away from you.

1. niv21 - Oct 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Kurt….Kobe knows Melo is a beast down low in the blocks. Unfortunately, especially being In Dantoni’s System… you are not required to post. He actually like his wing players to hang out by the perimeter and wait for a pass out to take the 3. Wish Dantoni would let Melo set up in the block more but its never going to happen with this coach.

• Kurt Helin - Oct 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Okay, but when he does post up he shoots 38 percent. He has not shown me to be a beast on the block, he has shown me he is a high volume shooter. And I think he and Kobe on the same team is a horrible combo. As a Lakers fan, very glad that trade never came close to reality.

2. zblott - Oct 10, 2011 at 3:35 PM

On top of the fact that Melo is not who you play with if winning is your thing, some of Kobe’s comments are quite insightful. He starts with “Championships are won on the inside” which is well-known and makes perfect sense, but the only examples he comes up with are offensive ones (nothing about interior defense or rebounding, two things his team excels at), and those examples of winning on the inside through offense start with “I can post.” That’s why Kobe thinks the Lakers are good – because he can post up. Good luck, Mike Brown.

3. 00maltliquor - Oct 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Kobe=great player/horrible GM (more Jordan similarities! Oh no!) Seems ltke he’s trying to get Bynum traded on every corner!

4. cordae - Oct 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I could guess why he likes hist post moves…the confrence finals they played in against each other a couple years ago. Those two flat out went at it, on the wing, in the post, you name it, Melo was all over kobe. It was fun to watch.

5. denverdude7 - Oct 10, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Anthony and Bryant should play on the same team along with Wade, Bosh and Bron-Bron. Just go do it in some other country. Maybe China, or better yet Afghanistan. I don’t care where you go…just go.

6. cosanostra71 - Oct 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Zblott. I think Kobe may believe the Lakers are good because they’ve won 55+ games in four straight seasons, and two world titles an additional Western Conference championship in that time frame.

• zblott - Oct 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I guess I missed that quote. Could you post a link to where he talks about the team’s wins and not his own post-up ability?

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview