Oct 10, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
UPDATE 9:45 am: The good news is that a suspect has been arrested in the case. The bad news is it makes this even more senseless (if that is possible).
Here is the report via Inside Hoops:
Ionut Adrian Tanasoaia surrendered to police early Monday. He is accused of beating up Hardy in a bar in the southern Romanian city of Giurgiu on Saturday night.
Mediafax news agency reported that Tanasoaia attacked Hardy because he wanted to dance with his girlfriend.
8:36 am: Chauncey Hardy was not a name NBA fans know, but he was one of many American players who have been able to carve out a living playing in Europe after college (in this case Sacred Heart).
Former Sacred Heart guard Chauncey Hardy died after being attacked in a bar in Romania.
Romanian Basketball Federation chief Carmen Tocala told GSP radio that Hardy died Sunday, suffering two heart attacks following his beating Saturday night….
Hardy played for CSS Giurgiu in southern Romania and was celebrating a victory over rival Dinamo Bucharest in Giurgiu when several men were reported to have attacked him.
Our thoughts and condolences go out to Hardy’s family, Sacred Heart and those that knew him.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 42
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 23
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23