Oct 10, 2011, 9:45 AM EST
UPDATE 9:45 am: The good news is that a suspect has been arrested in the case. The bad news is it makes this even more senseless (if that is possible).
Here is the report via Inside Hoops:
Ionut Adrian Tanasoaia surrendered to police early Monday. He is accused of beating up Hardy in a bar in the southern Romanian city of Giurgiu on Saturday night.
Mediafax news agency reported that Tanasoaia attacked Hardy because he wanted to dance with his girlfriend.
8:36 am: Chauncey Hardy was not a name NBA fans know, but he was one of many American players who have been able to carve out a living playing in Europe after college (in this case Sacred Heart).
Former Sacred Heart guard Chauncey Hardy died after being attacked in a bar in Romania.
Romanian Basketball Federation chief Carmen Tocala told GSP radio that Hardy died Sunday, suffering two heart attacks following his beating Saturday night….
Hardy played for CSS Giurgiu in southern Romania and was celebrating a victory over rival Dinamo Bucharest in Giurgiu when several men were reported to have attacked him.
Our thoughts and condolences go out to Hardy’s family, Sacred Heart and those that knew him.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 20
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 2
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 4
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 24
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9