Oct 10, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
UPDATE 9:45 am: The good news is that a suspect has been arrested in the case. The bad news is it makes this even more senseless (if that is possible).
Here is the report via Inside Hoops:
Ionut Adrian Tanasoaia surrendered to police early Monday. He is accused of beating up Hardy in a bar in the southern Romanian city of Giurgiu on Saturday night.
Mediafax news agency reported that Tanasoaia attacked Hardy because he wanted to dance with his girlfriend.
8:36 am: Chauncey Hardy was not a name NBA fans know, but he was one of many American players who have been able to carve out a living playing in Europe after college (in this case Sacred Heart).
Former Sacred Heart guard Chauncey Hardy died after being attacked in a bar in Romania.
Romanian Basketball Federation chief Carmen Tocala told GSP radio that Hardy died Sunday, suffering two heart attacks following his beating Saturday night….
Hardy played for CSS Giurgiu in southern Romania and was celebrating a victory over rival Dinamo Bucharest in Giurgiu when several men were reported to have attacked him.
Our thoughts and condolences go out to Hardy’s family, Sacred Heart and those that knew him.
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 4
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 7
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 15
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 29
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 4