Oct 9, 2011, 9:32 AM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire once said that skipping college was the “hardest choice” he ever had to make. The guy reads Sun Tzu and political commentary, and visited Israel to explore his roots last year. So he’s kind of a cerebral guy. He’s making up for lost time, though, at FIU where he’s working out. He’s also attending classes and visiting with students. Sounds as if he’s having a great time, too. STAT took to Twitter to reveal he has a new nickname from his friends at FIU.
Huh, that’s weird. Because here’s what Isiah Thomas, head coach at FIU and rumored guy with super connections to the Knicks said about Stoudemire to the New York Daily News:
“He’s been great down here,” Isiah Thomas said Saturday night of Stoudemire. “He shows up, works hard every day. He’s even eating in the cafeteria with (the students), sitting in class with them for two hours. He’s about education himself and continuing his knowledge and his thirst for knowledge.
“I told (Stoudemire) the other day, the biggest thing he’s done for these kids down here is not spending two hours on the gym floor talking about jumpers and layups. He spent two hours in the classroom with them, then came back and spent another two hours in the classroom with them. He’s into learning more and being a true renaissance man.
Huh. That’s weird.
Anyway, Stoudemire could use this experience. He’s staying in shape and exploring things he likes to. Not sure how that nickname is going to flow, though. Could we shorten it to “TRM?” Or since he plays in New York should we call him “Ren” after the Harlem Rens, stemming from the Harlem Renaissance? This could get complicated.
STAT is dead. Long live the Renaissance Man?
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42