Oct 9, 2011, 9:32 AM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire once said that skipping college was the “hardest choice” he ever had to make. The guy reads Sun Tzu and political commentary, and visited Israel to explore his roots last year. So he’s kind of a cerebral guy. He’s making up for lost time, though, at FIU where he’s working out. He’s also attending classes and visiting with students. Sounds as if he’s having a great time, too. STAT took to Twitter to reveal he has a new nickname from his friends at FIU.
Huh, that’s weird. Because here’s what Isiah Thomas, head coach at FIU and rumored guy with super connections to the Knicks said about Stoudemire to the New York Daily News:
“He’s been great down here,” Isiah Thomas said Saturday night of Stoudemire. “He shows up, works hard every day. He’s even eating in the cafeteria with (the students), sitting in class with them for two hours. He’s about education himself and continuing his knowledge and his thirst for knowledge.
“I told (Stoudemire) the other day, the biggest thing he’s done for these kids down here is not spending two hours on the gym floor talking about jumpers and layups. He spent two hours in the classroom with them, then came back and spent another two hours in the classroom with them. He’s into learning more and being a true renaissance man.
Huh. That’s weird.
Anyway, Stoudemire could use this experience. He’s staying in shape and exploring things he likes to. Not sure how that nickname is going to flow, though. Could we shorten it to “TRM?” Or since he plays in New York should we call him “Ren” after the Harlem Rens, stemming from the Harlem Renaissance? This could get complicated.
STAT is dead. Long live the Renaissance Man?
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 1
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 4
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 9
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable