Oct 9, 2011, 1:49 PM EST
The players canceled a meeting Sunday and suspicions began ramping up that there would be a meeting Sunday with Monday’s deadline to avoid canceling regular season games looming. Sunday afternoon the New York Times reports those suspicions are becoming a reality.
Top officials for the N.B.A. and the players union will meet Sunday night in a final, and unexpected, attempt to resolve the lockout before regular-season games are lost, according to a person briefed on the meeting.
The meeting will involve the primary negotiators for each side — Commissioner David Stern and the deputy commissioner Adam Silver for the league, with the union represented by its president, Derek Fisher, and its executive director, Billy Hunter.
This is a Hail Mary attempt to get things done. To let you know what would have to happen:
- Either the owners would have to soften on the BRI 50/50 split they demanded before trying to set up a meeting Friday, the union would have to drop to it, or the two sides would have to work on the supporting issues to make the deal good enough for the other to move on BRI.
- Then, they’d have to sell their respective deals to their constituents, with the players extremely firm on 53 percent and no lower, and the owners extremely firm on 50 percent and no higher. Plus, both sides are filled with inflammatory parties like Dan Gilbert, Robert Sarver, and Kevin Garnett who don’t want any movement at all.
- Then, they’d have to get past all the other issues, get the agents on board, work up the language, and get a new CBA voted on and ratified.
- They have four weeks and two days to get this done.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 5
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9