Oct 8, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Baylor’s Perry Jones surprised everyone by pulling out of the draft last year. He was projected as a lottery pick, and had been ruled ineligible for the end of the season and postseason for improper benefits. (You know, really evil stuff like “a coach loaning his mother money so they wouldn’t lose their house,” stuff like that. Keep on keeping on, NCAA!) But he decided to come back, be it for the love of the college game or simply to avoid the lockout. But in an interview with SLAM, the young man dropped a hint that he could just as easily pass up the pro game another year.
“Being suspended made me want to come back even more because I never got to play in the postseason, and that was something I wanted to experience,” Jones says. “I’m still here, and if things don’t go the way I want to this year, then I’ll come back another year.”
Jones is criticized fairly often by scouts for a variety of things. He lacks a versatile post game. He tends to disappear for long stretches. And, oh, yeah, he’s a defensive sieve. But he’s got all the things you look for physically in a player. Long, athletic, solid movement. It would be really weird if he didn’t enter the draft this year, but at the same time, this is expected to be the best draft class in years. Waiting might put Jones at the top of next year’s class.
Jones is definitely a player to keep an eye on through the year and a prospect saying he might return isn’t huge news. It’s more interesting to consider the conundrum and how different Jones’ career path seems to be from the simple, expected route.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 14
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 34
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4