Oct 8, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Baylor’s Perry Jones surprised everyone by pulling out of the draft last year. He was projected as a lottery pick, and had been ruled ineligible for the end of the season and postseason for improper benefits. (You know, really evil stuff like “a coach loaning his mother money so they wouldn’t lose their house,” stuff like that. Keep on keeping on, NCAA!) But he decided to come back, be it for the love of the college game or simply to avoid the lockout. But in an interview with SLAM, the young man dropped a hint that he could just as easily pass up the pro game another year.
“Being suspended made me want to come back even more because I never got to play in the postseason, and that was something I wanted to experience,” Jones says. “I’m still here, and if things don’t go the way I want to this year, then I’ll come back another year.”
Jones is criticized fairly often by scouts for a variety of things. He lacks a versatile post game. He tends to disappear for long stretches. And, oh, yeah, he’s a defensive sieve. But he’s got all the things you look for physically in a player. Long, athletic, solid movement. It would be really weird if he didn’t enter the draft this year, but at the same time, this is expected to be the best draft class in years. Waiting might put Jones at the top of next year’s class.
Jones is definitely a player to keep an eye on through the year and a prospect saying he might return isn’t huge news. It’s more interesting to consider the conundrum and how different Jones’ career path seems to be from the simple, expected route.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 26
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 32
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4