Oct 8, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Shannon Brown‘s going to be a free agent when the league comes back (you know, in 2014), and he’s going to have options. He’s still a young promising guard with two championship rings. His return to the Lakers makes sense from several perspectives, and a dozen more if you factor in how bad Steve Blake was last year. But then again, the Lakers have been moving in a different direction, and with a lowered salary cap, something’s got to give, and it might be Brown. So if he leaves, where does he want to play?
HoopsHype pulled a quote from a FoxSports video that was nice and tasty.
“I just want to go to a team that is contender to a championship. A team where I can showcase my talents.”
He also mentions “lots of playing time” and starting. Is Brown worth a starting spot? Is he a guy you can build around? It’ll be interesting to look at how Brown develops outside of the triangle. when Brown would play, particularly when Kobe Bryant wasn’t, you know, Kobe-Bryant-ing the offense for better or worse, Jackson would let Brown off the triangle leash a bit. His talents aren’t well suited for that system and in a fast break team on something with more cuts, he could really contribute. He’s a willing defender, with few huge marks against him. He had a hot shooting year until the bottom dropped out in the playoffs (along with the rest of the Lakers and Pau Gasol‘s professional pride).
Brown’s going to have his options. But it’s hard to see him winding up in a starting spot on a contender. You can’t always get what you want. #LetShannonStart?
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 17
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 12