Oct 8, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
Eddy Curry had lost all that weight, reportedly 100 lbs. making him the Biggest Loser in the good way for the first time in his career. His coming out party was supposed to be the charity event in Miami alongside Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Mario Chalmers, members (or former in restricted free-agent Mario Chalmers’ case) of the Heat team that’s been exploring signing Curry. So it was all set.
Yeah, so, he’s not playing. From Brian Windhorst of ESPN:
2 telling items from Miami exhibition: Eddy Curry backed out again; Udonis Haslem not playing, perhaps recovered from ankle surgery
Notably, Windhorst also reports Caron Butler will give it a go. This will be Butler’s first organized game in public since his knee injury ended his season. That’s a big deal, especially for Mark Cuban who will look to re-sign Butler as wing was the only real weakness for the Mavericks down the stretch (obviously since, you know, they won the title).
Curry’s absence isn’t crushing to his goals of getting back to the league. He’ll have workouts and in reality, not playing may be better for his shot. But it’s kind of a shame. Curry did play for the Melo league in a few exhibitions, but this was supposed to be a little more publicized.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21