Oct 8, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
Eddy Curry had lost all that weight, reportedly 100 lbs. making him the Biggest Loser in the good way for the first time in his career. His coming out party was supposed to be the charity event in Miami alongside Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Mario Chalmers, members (or former in restricted free-agent Mario Chalmers’ case) of the Heat team that’s been exploring signing Curry. So it was all set.
Yeah, so, he’s not playing. From Brian Windhorst of ESPN:
2 telling items from Miami exhibition: Eddy Curry backed out again; Udonis Haslem not playing, perhaps recovered from ankle surgery
Notably, Windhorst also reports Caron Butler will give it a go. This will be Butler’s first organized game in public since his knee injury ended his season. That’s a big deal, especially for Mark Cuban who will look to re-sign Butler as wing was the only real weakness for the Mavericks down the stretch (obviously since, you know, they won the title).
Curry’s absence isn’t crushing to his goals of getting back to the league. He’ll have workouts and in reality, not playing may be better for his shot. But it’s kind of a shame. Curry did play for the Melo league in a few exhibitions, but this was supposed to be a little more publicized.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20