Oct 8, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
Eddy Curry had lost all that weight, reportedly 100 lbs. making him the Biggest Loser in the good way for the first time in his career. His coming out party was supposed to be the charity event in Miami alongside Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Mario Chalmers, members (or former in restricted free-agent Mario Chalmers’ case) of the Heat team that’s been exploring signing Curry. So it was all set.
Yeah, so, he’s not playing. From Brian Windhorst of ESPN:
2 telling items from Miami exhibition: Eddy Curry backed out again; Udonis Haslem not playing, perhaps recovered from ankle surgery
Notably, Windhorst also reports Caron Butler will give it a go. This will be Butler’s first organized game in public since his knee injury ended his season. That’s a big deal, especially for Mark Cuban who will look to re-sign Butler as wing was the only real weakness for the Mavericks down the stretch (obviously since, you know, they won the title).
Curry’s absence isn’t crushing to his goals of getting back to the league. He’ll have workouts and in reality, not playing may be better for his shot. But it’s kind of a shame. Curry did play for the Melo league in a few exhibitions, but this was supposed to be a little more publicized.
- Report: Rick Adelman will not return as Timberwolves coach 0
- Kyrie Irving would be ‘excited’ if Cavaliers offer max contract extension 7
- 2014 PBT Awards: Defensive Player of the Year 14
- Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would 12
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 41