Oct 8, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
Eddy Curry had lost all that weight, reportedly 100 lbs. making him the Biggest Loser in the good way for the first time in his career. His coming out party was supposed to be the charity event in Miami alongside Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Mario Chalmers, members (or former in restricted free-agent Mario Chalmers’ case) of the Heat team that’s been exploring signing Curry. So it was all set.
Yeah, so, he’s not playing. From Brian Windhorst of ESPN:
2 telling items from Miami exhibition: Eddy Curry backed out again; Udonis Haslem not playing, perhaps recovered from ankle surgery
Notably, Windhorst also reports Caron Butler will give it a go. This will be Butler’s first organized game in public since his knee injury ended his season. That’s a big deal, especially for Mark Cuban who will look to re-sign Butler as wing was the only real weakness for the Mavericks down the stretch (obviously since, you know, they won the title).
Curry’s absence isn’t crushing to his goals of getting back to the league. He’ll have workouts and in reality, not playing may be better for his shot. But it’s kind of a shame. Curry did play for the Melo league in a few exhibitions, but this was supposed to be a little more publicized.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 20
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7