Oct 8, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
Eddy Curry had lost all that weight, reportedly 100 lbs. making him the Biggest Loser in the good way for the first time in his career. His coming out party was supposed to be the charity event in Miami alongside Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Mario Chalmers, members (or former in restricted free-agent Mario Chalmers’ case) of the Heat team that’s been exploring signing Curry. So it was all set.
Yeah, so, he’s not playing. From Brian Windhorst of ESPN:
2 telling items from Miami exhibition: Eddy Curry backed out again; Udonis Haslem not playing, perhaps recovered from ankle surgery
Notably, Windhorst also reports Caron Butler will give it a go. This will be Butler’s first organized game in public since his knee injury ended his season. That’s a big deal, especially for Mark Cuban who will look to re-sign Butler as wing was the only real weakness for the Mavericks down the stretch (obviously since, you know, they won the title).
Curry’s absence isn’t crushing to his goals of getting back to the league. He’ll have workouts and in reality, not playing may be better for his shot. But it’s kind of a shame. Curry did play for the Melo league in a few exhibitions, but this was supposed to be a little more publicized.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49