Oct 7, 2011, 8:40 PM EST
Ed Stefanski, the 76ers general manager who has basically been a lame duck in Philadelphia since the ownership brought in Rod Thon to run the show, is close to landing a new gig.
He is in “advanced talks” to become the GM and No. 2 guy with the Toronto Raptors behind team president Bryan Colangelo, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Stefanski also has been mentioned as a person of interest in the restarted Trail Blazers search for a GM.
Stefanski has had mixed success in Philly. On the plus side of the ledger has been Jrue Holiday, Lou Williams and even Marreese Speights (who can be a solid center in the league), plus he has kept Andre Iguodala in house. The problem is he overpaid Iggy and he signed Elton Brand, who despite a bounce-back-to-solid season last year still has been the deal that killed the 76ers financial flexibility. Basically, he’s got a nice young roster but no way to really build on it for a couple years.
Toronto, on the other hand, is a major rebuilding project right now.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 17
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11