Oct 7, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
Ed Stefanski, the 76ers general manager who has basically been a lame duck in Philadelphia since the ownership brought in Rod Thon to run the show, is close to landing a new gig.
He is in “advanced talks” to become the GM and No. 2 guy with the Toronto Raptors behind team president Bryan Colangelo, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Stefanski also has been mentioned as a person of interest in the restarted Trail Blazers search for a GM.
Stefanski has had mixed success in Philly. On the plus side of the ledger has been Jrue Holiday, Lou Williams and even Marreese Speights (who can be a solid center in the league), plus he has kept Andre Iguodala in house. The problem is he overpaid Iggy and he signed Elton Brand, who despite a bounce-back-to-solid season last year still has been the deal that killed the 76ers financial flexibility. Basically, he’s got a nice young roster but no way to really build on it for a couple years.
Toronto, on the other hand, is a major rebuilding project right now.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15