Oct 7, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
Ed Stefanski, the 76ers general manager who has basically been a lame duck in Philadelphia since the ownership brought in Rod Thon to run the show, is close to landing a new gig.
He is in “advanced talks” to become the GM and No. 2 guy with the Toronto Raptors behind team president Bryan Colangelo, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Stefanski also has been mentioned as a person of interest in the restarted Trail Blazers search for a GM.
Stefanski has had mixed success in Philly. On the plus side of the ledger has been Jrue Holiday, Lou Williams and even Marreese Speights (who can be a solid center in the league), plus he has kept Andre Iguodala in house. The problem is he overpaid Iggy and he signed Elton Brand, who despite a bounce-back-to-solid season last year still has been the deal that killed the 76ers financial flexibility. Basically, he’s got a nice young roster but no way to really build on it for a couple years.
Toronto, on the other hand, is a major rebuilding project right now.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 9
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31