Oct 7, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
Ed Stefanski, the 76ers general manager who has basically been a lame duck in Philadelphia since the ownership brought in Rod Thon to run the show, is close to landing a new gig.
He is in “advanced talks” to become the GM and No. 2 guy with the Toronto Raptors behind team president Bryan Colangelo, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Stefanski also has been mentioned as a person of interest in the restarted Trail Blazers search for a GM.
Stefanski has had mixed success in Philly. On the plus side of the ledger has been Jrue Holiday, Lou Williams and even Marreese Speights (who can be a solid center in the league), plus he has kept Andre Iguodala in house. The problem is he overpaid Iggy and he signed Elton Brand, who despite a bounce-back-to-solid season last year still has been the deal that killed the 76ers financial flexibility. Basically, he’s got a nice young roster but no way to really build on it for a couple years.
Toronto, on the other hand, is a major rebuilding project right now.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29