Oct 7, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
Earlier this week reports started to come out of Greece (and repeated other places) that Dirk Nowitzki was talking to European power Real Madrid to play there during the lockout.
Nowitzki said he is not.
That’s part of a conversation with ESPN’s Marc Stein where the big German talked about his plans if the lockout drags out.
If the work stoppage starts to consume chunks of the regular season, Nowitzki says he is likely to resume basketball training at the end of this month or in early November and will then start to seriously consider the overseas feelers he’s been getting from teams in China and across Europe since the work stoppage began July 1.
Nowitzki has said he’s unlikely to play for a team in his native Germany so as not to favor one club in the Bundesliga over the rest, but he scoffed at a Greek media report this week linking him with Real Madrid, saying: “I haven’t talked to anybody yet. I’m still hoping that we can get a (labor) deal done soon.”
Also in that story, Nowitzki continues to stick up for Cowboy’s quarterback Tony Romo, who is being blistered in Dallas after an ugly end to the game against Detroit last weekend.
“First of all, I think support to a local sports figure is important,” Nowitzki said. “I love the Rangers. I watched that whole [Cowboys] game against Detroit. I support every local team….”
“Last week he played with a punctured lung and he’s the hero,” Nowitzki continued. “This week they lose and it’s all his fault. I just think every week you [media] guys change your minds. Just let him play.”
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 8
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 29