Oct 7, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
Earlier this week reports started to come out of Greece (and repeated other places) that Dirk Nowitzki was talking to European power Real Madrid to play there during the lockout.
Nowitzki said he is not.
That’s part of a conversation with ESPN’s Marc Stein where the big German talked about his plans if the lockout drags out.
If the work stoppage starts to consume chunks of the regular season, Nowitzki says he is likely to resume basketball training at the end of this month or in early November and will then start to seriously consider the overseas feelers he’s been getting from teams in China and across Europe since the work stoppage began July 1.
Nowitzki has said he’s unlikely to play for a team in his native Germany so as not to favor one club in the Bundesliga over the rest, but he scoffed at a Greek media report this week linking him with Real Madrid, saying: “I haven’t talked to anybody yet. I’m still hoping that we can get a (labor) deal done soon.”
Also in that story, Nowitzki continues to stick up for Cowboy’s quarterback Tony Romo, who is being blistered in Dallas after an ugly end to the game against Detroit last weekend.
“First of all, I think support to a local sports figure is important,” Nowitzki said. “I love the Rangers. I watched that whole [Cowboys] game against Detroit. I support every local team….”
“Last week he played with a punctured lung and he’s the hero,” Nowitzki continued. “This week they lose and it’s all his fault. I just think every week you [media] guys change your minds. Just let him play.”
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 10
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35